Rainshadow2 advice

Posted by: Cajun

Rainshadow2 advice - 05/26/10 03:19 PM

I need a new tent and have been looking at the double rainbow and the RS2. They are priced the same and the weight is identical but the RS2 is much bigger and we could use the space. Are there any reasons why I might not want the RS2? Is the quality and function there?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Rainshadow2 advice - 05/26/10 04:38 PM

The Rainshadow has more floor space, since it's a 3-person tent. However, because of the slope to the sides, not all the space is usable. If you really need space for three, then go with the Rainshadow. However, for two adults the Double Rainbow has the advantage of two doors and two vestibules. That's much better than climbing in and out the front door of the Rainshadow, planting your feet in the faces of the other sleepers! The Rainshadow's larger footprint can put it at more of a disadvantage when you're looking for campsites.

I have a Rainshadow (for my 3 grandkids) but not a Double Rainbow. I know if I were going out as half of a couple, though, I'd definitely want the Double Rainbow!

EDIT, later: Do you use trekking poles? If you don't, the DR will be lighter because you'll need to buy two poles for the Rainshadow. (Even with trekking poles, the Rainshadow is far more stable with two of them.)

Posted by: BarryP

Re: Rainshadow2 advice - 05/26/10 04:38 PM

“Are there any reasons why I might not want the RS2? Is the quality and function there?”
I have the Rainshadow 1 and the double rainbow.

Rainshadow Pro:
1. A lot more space
2. faster to setup
3. Very easy to seam seal

Rainshadow Con:
1. More footprint needed
2. Walls go into my face a little in high winds.
3. Try to orient into the wind; no big deal until the wind changes.

DR Pro:
1. smaller footprint
2. two doors
3. two vestibles
4. Pretty wind stable in any direction.
5. The peak is in the middle; Makes it easier to sit up in.

DR Con:
1. takes a little longer to setup than the Rainshadow.
2. Of course there’s less space than the Rainshadow.
3. I struggled with seam sealing. I finally had Henry do it.

When I loan out these tents to our experienced scouts, I always get feedback they like the Rainshadow better because of the room. If I’m rooming with my dad, I would take the RS.

My wife prefers the tent peak in the middle so she doesn’t care for the RS.

Good luck on your choice.

-Barry
Posted by: Franco

Re: Rainshadow2 advice - 05/26/10 06:55 PM

Hi
Good info above.
At times I think that it was only Henry and myself that could successfully seam seal the earlier Rainbows...

Henry has re-designed the cross strut of the DR so now it is very easy to seam seal . See this link :
http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow2010.html
As for the set up , I have not timed myself but I definitely can do the DR in less than two minutes, so
not a big deal there. It's all about technique and practice.
As far as space it depends on how tall you are. A 6'2"/3" will fit inside the DR , for me at 5'7" have about 25% of the floor length
to spread my stuff on...

A quick video of the DR :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv8Mxbpc1ac

I went downstairs , set the tent up and shot the video in under 15 minutes. It was almost lunchtime...
Franco
franco at tarptent dot com
Posted by: kbennett

Re: Rainshadow2 advice - 05/26/10 09:16 PM

We owned the original Rainshadow, and used it for our family hikes with our daughter. It really does sleep three people. As a two person shelter it's a palace. Used it on several hikes. We replaced it with a Double Rainbow, which has a lot less interior space -- enough so that we replaced that with another tent. If I had to pick between the two tents, for moderate 3-season use I'd get the Rainshadow.
Posted by: Cajun

Re: Rainshadow2 advice - 05/28/10 04:06 PM

Thanks for all of the help. The wife and I are going to sit down and weigh the options, and then do whatever she wants.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Rainshadow2 advice - 05/28/10 04:11 PM

You could use the dimensions shown on the product sheets for each tent to set up a mockup on the floor using string and masking tape. This might help you decide. Or you could order both tents, try them at home and send back the one you don't want. You'd be out only the shipping charges.