Little Dandy Wood Burning Stove

Posted by: Redfacery

Little Dandy Wood Burning Stove - 04/28/10 06:38 PM

Yesterday I built a Little Dandy Wood Burning Stove . I made it out of sheet aluminum instead of steel, and it weighs in at 80g. (2.8oz). I was wondering if people had any experience with the little dandy, as it seems both solid and packable (while weighing the same as my Esbit minus all the fuel).

I will be taking it out with me on my next trip (likely next weekend but not this weekend), and would appreciate any experience with this or other wood burning stoves.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Little Dandy Wood Burning Stove - 04/28/10 07:39 PM

Depending on how thick the aluminium is, it may warp. However this should not be a problem for the first few burns.I would test it first.
Franco
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Little Dandy Wood Burning Stove - 04/29/10 09:13 AM

I don't remember the thickness of aluminum that my first one was made out of. Maybe 20 or 30 mil? But, it melted on the first burn. It didn't actually melt, more like soften and deform with the weight of the water on top. I am making a new one this week, hopefully, out of mysterious metal from work. It is a sheet that was purchased long ago, and no one knows what it is. I did some density tests on it, and think it is nickel or SS.
Posted by: frenchie

Re: Little Dandy Wood Burning Stove - 04/29/10 10:44 AM

This design is neat and compact. Drawback is you need some rather large diametre pot, or you loose a lot of heat.
Posted by: Pat-trick

Re: Little Dandy Wood Burning Stove - 05/18/10 04:21 AM

it will be smoky, 'cause it's basically an open fire, but there's nothing like a fire when camping! putting up walls makes it a more efficient fire than a hole in the ground, because of heat containment. i've been working on a downdraft gasifier wood stove made from a tin can and a few other parts. i need to update entries i made earlier on it, to continue the discussion.