keen

Posted by: Jake28

keen - 03/23/10 10:57 PM

i know these arent lightweight but i love how the keen targhee II's fit, they feel great and i used them all of last year. my only issue is that some of the sole is already starting to come apart from the shoe. i looked up some reviews and saw many similar complaints.

is there any way to stop/slow this problem (other than stop using them for backpacking)?

if not what is a good boot, similar to the targhee II in style but will last a long time?
thanks
Posted by: billk

Re: keen - 03/24/10 01:52 AM

I have worn the Keen Targhee's (not sure if they're the "II" model)for quite a while with no problems. There is one very small spot where the rand seems to be separating from the upper, maybe 1/2"-3/4" long, but it's been that way quite a while and hasn't gotten any worse. Barge Cement would be the appropriate adhesive (from a leather shop or maybe a shoe repair shop) or maybe Shoe Goo.

I like these boots, too...I hope they continue to hold up. I found that they had less vertical toe room than I wanted, so I replaced the insoles with the flat green Spenco type (I don't need the arch support.)
Posted by: Jake28

Re: keen - 03/24/10 09:10 AM

thanks for the advice. thats funny that you switched insoles cuz i did the same and i think we have the same ones too, theyre called superfeet.
Posted by: billk

Re: keen - 03/28/10 12:20 AM

No, I used to use the Superfeet insoles, but I no longer think they're a good idea. I won't bore you with my whole plantar fasciitis story (it's probably in the archives), but I've come to the conclusion that unnecessary arch support weakens your feet, assuming your feet are OK to begin with.

The insoles I've been using are made by Spenco, and are perfectly flat, about 5/32" (4mm)thick, and are black foam with green fabric on top.