Light and cheap pot

Posted by: finallyME

Light and cheap pot - 03/02/10 10:22 AM

Here is a pot I recently purchased.

It is an Imusa 0.7 qt mug. It cost me about $2. It is shown with a 32 oz gatoraide bottle. I weighed it. The mug weighs 71.450 g, and the combo weighs 123.502 g (I weighed it at work laugh ). I am giving this as an option. I know some don't like this, or like another better. That is fine. There is no perfect pot. But, if you need a cheap and light solution, this can work. It is thicker than a heine pot, but with no coating, and a little more robust. I got it at Walmart. Not every Walmart sells them, they are generally at stores that cater to the Hispanic population.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Light and cheap pot - 03/02/10 10:26 AM

Bravo! Absolutely perfect solution.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Light and cheap pot - 03/02/10 11:04 AM

I am not a fan of aluminum handles on anything--they conduct heat way too well. We use an aluminum cook pot, but plastic cups. A metal cup just burns your lips--Sierra Club Cups are the worst!
Posted by: Pika

Re: Light and cheap pot - 03/02/10 11:18 AM

IMUSA also makes a larger mug and they also make a grease dispenser. The lid from the grease dispenser fits the small mug. You can check out the line of stuff that IMUSA sells here

http://www.imusausa.com/index.php?option...&limit=5000

I cut most of the handle off of my IMUSA pots; I leave just enough to grab with a folded handkerchief. No burns over the past 5 years.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Light and cheap pot - 03/02/10 12:41 PM

I have the grease dispenser as well, a large and small.

Here is the small one that I have. I guess it is .9 liters

Here is the large one. It is in the bottom left corner of the picture.

I generally use the large one with groups for hot water. It pours nicely and holds about 2 liters (I think).

The thing about the mug is that it is smaller, weighs less, and is cheaper than the small grease pot. Both diameters are the same, but the .9L grease pot is taller. Anyways, it is another option. To each his own.

Oh, and I like to give the mug away as prizes to my scouts (among other small useful things.) Being $2, it doesn't hurt me much, and the boys love getting a useful piece of gear. I also have a few on hand to "lend" for boys who show up with nothing to cook with. It is no big deal if they break or lose it.
Posted by: lori

Re: Light and cheap pot - 03/02/10 12:44 PM

I picked one of these up to throw in the SAR pack which needs to be ready to go at the drop of a hat - duplicating gear and wanting to have things that can be dropped off a cliff led me to cheap and light. smile I put foil squares, esbit and a lighter in, and wrapped the handle in paracord.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Light and cheap pot - 03/02/10 03:03 PM

KMart's grease pot (strainer removed and lid handle replaced with a wire loop) is also a great lightweight pot. You'll find it with the kitchen accessories there.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Light and cheap pot - 03/03/10 01:21 AM

+1 on the KMart grease pot. Wide bottom and no handle to worry about.
Posted by: routemaster

Re: Light and cheap pot - 03/10/10 01:34 PM

Grease pot from Amazon works great