Laser Photon Elite Tent

Posted by: DJ2

Laser Photon Elite Tent - 02/02/10 11:26 AM

This tent:
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Product_Type/Tents/Superlite_Tents/Laser_Photon_Elite_GREEN.html

has been discussed before. They claim to have lightened it up a bit more since I last looked at it and are saying it now weighs 1.5 lbs.

They say that makes it the lightest double wall tent on the market.

Has anyone here used this latest version?

Posted by: Boomer

Re: Laser Photon Elite Tent - 02/02/10 12:08 PM

that tent is identical to the tarptent moment
Posted by: phat

Re: Laser Photon Elite Tent - 02/02/10 03:21 PM

I wouldn't say it's identical - it's just pretty close.

if the weight is to be believed it's a little lighter, and at 330 quid, a lot more expensive than a TT moment, although
by the time you mail one to the uk I'm not so sure.

it *looks* not too bad.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Laser Photon Elite Tent - 02/02/10 05:02 PM

Hi
The two shelters share the same shape but there are major differences.
The Laser is a double wall tent, the Moment is an hybrid (single wall with a mesh side/door)

As usual the Devil is in the details...
The Laser Photon Elite (as its predecessors) was specifically designed to be the lightest "tent" and for mountain marathon races. Durability and space has been sacrificed for weight savings.

The real weight , minimum, is 2 lbs. That is including the pole sleeve you need to attach to keep it rainproof. Still this is using those 1-2g pegs that in fact most if not all replace with real pegs. So add the weight of your pegs to it. It ships with 12, looks to me that needs at least 8.

Another weight saving is by not having any vents.
Note that the Moment has two bottom end vents as well as two at the apex.
The TN has a listed max headroom at 34", the Moment is 40" high.
The TN has a 10" deep vestibule (about 3' sq) the Moment is 18" deep (a bit over 6')
http://www.moontrail.com/terra-nova-laser-photon-usa.php

Franco
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Laser Photon Elite Tent - 02/02/10 11:20 PM

Not, as a contrail & Moment owner, that I'm biased or anything but I'd prefer a TT Scarp 1 over the Laser Photon.
Posted by: DJ2

Apples to Apples Weight Comparison - 02/03/10 11:29 AM

If I'm interpreting the specs correctly for these two tents I think the weights for tent, poles and fly are as follows:

Laser Photon Elite = 660 grams or 24 ounces
Scarp 1 = 1250 grams or 44 ounces

There is a significant difference between the two in weight, even though they are similar in configuration.
Posted by: hshires

Re: Apples to Apples Weight Comparison - 02/03/10 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By DJ2
If I'm interpreting the specs correctly for these two tents I think the weights for tent, poles and fly are as follows:

Laser Photon Elite = 660 grams or 24 ounces
Scarp 1 = 1250 grams or 44 ounces

There is a significant difference between the two in weight, even though they are similar in configuration.

The Photon is substantially smaller than the Scarp 1 and other than a transverse arch the two shelters are NOT similar in configuration. A much better comparison would be the Photon and Moment. The Moment is something like 5 ounces heavier but has much more headroom, a much larger floor, a much larger vestibule, sets up with two stakes (and can be free-standing with crossing pole), and is substantially less expensive.

-H