Nemo Nano 2

Posted by: bigwig

Nemo Nano 2 - 12/09/09 01:46 PM

Does anyone have any experience with this tent? Is condensation an issue? I would be using it for all 4 seasons so I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with it in the winter, too.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Nemo Nano 2 - 12/10/09 02:42 AM

I had a look at the tent in their online catalog. After viewing their design and weights I'd suggest you look closely at TarpTent's offerings. (link at the top of this forum's page)

They have both single and double wall tents with excellent design and quality American construction.

Re: Nemo Nano 2 - 12/10/09 11:53 AM

I've kept an eye on TarpTent for quite a while and they look great. However, I guess I believe in the saying, "no battle plan survives contact with the enemy," or, applied to me, "no tent survives contact with 4 small kids for long." The security blanket that I get from buying things from REI keeps me warm at night.
Posted by: CWF

Re: Nemo Nano 2 - 12/10/09 12:02 PM

Lets see. The Nano is a freestanding, dome shelter with two cross poles that has little in common with any Tarptent except that it is single walled and that it too is made in the US.

No direct experience, but here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8d16KDQ3L8

Posted by: Franco

Re: Nemo Nano 2 - 12/10/09 04:47 PM

The Nemo tents are made in Taiwan (I think by the same factory that makes the MSR shelters)
Tarptents are made in Seattle.
The TT Scarp 1/ 2 and the Hogback (4 person) are double wall tents, the rest are single wall.
The Scarp 2 is also freestanding with the optional cross poles .
Note that you need to seam seal the TT shelters, the Nemo are factory seam taped.
Franco
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Nemo Nano 2 - 12/10/09 08:19 PM

Believe me, TarpTent's garantee is every bit as good as REI's. If you have a problem with a TarpTent Henry Shires will fix it and make things right without delay.

Better customer service may exist at your Rolls Royce or Maybach dealership but the price of admission is a bit steeper for all those macchiato lattes and handholding.
Posted by: Zalman

Re: Nemo Nano 2 - 12/10/09 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By Franco
The Scarp 2 is also freestanding with the optional cross poles .

Just to clarify, the Scarp 1 is also freestanding with optional cross poles.
Posted by: Paul

Re: Nemo Nano 2 - 12/11/09 02:35 PM

Here's a review I found:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/nemo/nano/review/14309/

I haven't used that tent, but I have a tent very similar in size (BD lighhouse) and for the winter it would be a one-man tent in my opinion. OK in the summer for two if both are of medium to small build.

Re: Nemo Nano 2 - 12/11/09 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By 300winmag
Believe me, TarpTent's garantee is every bit as good as REI's. If you have a problem with a TarpTent Henry Shires will fix it and make things right without delay.

Better customer service may exist at your Rolls Royce or Maybach dealership but the price of admission is a bit steeper for all those macchiato lattes and handholding.

He'll take it back if one of my kids chews their way through the side of the tent? Ok, maybe that wouldn't happen, but I did once break a pole when my 3 year old tried to climb a tent.