lightweight cold weather camp...

Posted by: phat

lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/27/09 08:48 PM

It ain't winter yet, and two weeks ago was snowy and much colder.. but that trip I forgot the camera...

So thought I'd pass on some shots from ther weekend - homemade hot-tent modification to golite shangri-la 3, my colder weather hammiock rig, and a lunar solo in camp that someone here will recognize...

And an Interior Movie from the hot tent at dinnertime, complete with the requisite background stove noise!

Posted by: Subie Love

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/28/09 11:08 AM

Nice set up Phat! I bet you stay nice and toasty! Is the chimney part 1 piece?
Posted by: Franco

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/28/09 04:48 PM

Hi Phat
I think that I get the idea of the stove and recognise those legs... however I too am interested in your pipe ( the one on the stove..)
Can you please give us some specs ?
( I am making a wood burning stove of that type right now. Just playing with a "new" design, not meant to be a (long term) working version..)
Franco

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/28/09 05:35 PM

The pipe is a 6 foot rollup stainless steel pipe from our board sponsor - Titanium goat. It's very nice and waaaay better than using heater pipe for this. since the 3 inch rollup pipe is basically 12 inches wide, it fits my stove. See the latter pictures of http://bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/hothex - I show the pipe, rolled up, and weights for everything. When I bought the pipe I just mailed the contact at the titanium goat site and told them I wanted a 6 foot long 3 inch rollup stainless pipe. They were happy to oblige and getting it was really easy (They also have Titanium foil ones if you feel really wealthy)

The stakes are of course two snow stakes bolted to the side, the rear of the stove is held onto the vertical pole of the shangri-la by a pipe clamp (that's the latest system.. I just used pegs in the above link when I first built it..)

Posted by: 300winmag

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/28/09 09:28 PM

I'm wondering if a Caldera Cone wood burning conversion would generate enough heat to warm a 2 person light canvas tent. Whaddya think?

I've seen my Candoil lantern heat up my 3-man dome tent to 45 F. at -5 F. outside temps (with two people inside) so why wouldn't a converted Caldera Cone do at least as well?

THE key to efficient heating is to pipe combustion air in from the outside to the stove. It's cold and dense W/ a richer O2 content and ya ain't suckin' up warm inside air for combustion. All efficient woodstoves in homes do teh same thing. Plains Indians also had that setup for their tepee fires.

Eric

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/28/09 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By 300winmag
I'm wondering if a Caldera Cone wood burning conversion would generate enough heat to warm a 2 person light canvas tent. Whaddya think?

probably, if you could find a way to vent it. that's pretty much half the size of my stove, which is a 12 inch section of 6 inch diameter pipe.

Quote:
I've seen my Candoil lantern heat up my 3-man dome tent to 45 F. at -5 F. outside temps (with two people inside) so why wouldn't a converted Caldera Cone do at least as well?

THE key to efficient heating is to pipe combustion air in from the outside to the stove. It's cold and dense W/ a richer O2 content and ya ain't suckin' up warm inside air for combustion. All efficient woodstoves in homes do teh same thing. Plains Indians also had that setup for their tepee fires.

Eric

with the stove near the bottom of the tent this is effectively what you have.. trust me, it's warm enough, you don't need t resort to sillyness.

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/29/09 12:29 AM

You do need a way to exhaust the smoke and carbon monoxide!
Posted by: TomD

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/29/09 03:38 AM

Nice setup Phat. I couldn't get the movie to play, though. Is that a Mac file of some sort?
Posted by: Cesar

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/29/09 09:59 AM

Tom you may need to install quicktime from apple.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/29/09 10:22 AM

It's just a .mov file off of an olympus camera.. quicktime will play it but I'm pretty sure the latest windows media player also will..

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/29/09 07:52 PM

Were a bunch of you using the gear, or were you taking turns sleeping in each of the items? Or is this just a backyard setup?

I suspect the flat area of the Lunar Solo (the part that probably has the most dog hair and is therefore best insulated, since that's where Hysson slept) will squash flat with only a small amount of snow. Too bad, because the rest of it should shed snow just fine.
Posted by: TomD

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/29/09 11:12 PM

I've got Quicktime. Took some fiddling, but I got it to work. Had to import the URL directly into the open program.

Is that a 123 in a Sigg Tourist kit? I have the same setup.

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/30/09 12:20 AM

No, that wasn't a backyard setup. we wer a ways from anywhere in swan hills. My Dad was sleeping in the lunar solo, I was in my hammock. we used the hot tent for mornings and evenings to sit in to warm up, dry things, and eat.

I took the lunar solo for dad after he said he wanted to try it, and he didn't want to worry about rolling around into the stove in the shangri-la - he seemed to like the lunar solo. The last time we went out two weeks ago he slept in the shangri-la.

Re: lightweight cold weather camp... - 10/30/09 12:22 AM

It's a garage sale svea 123 in an MEC gear swap aquired sigg-tourist-like kit - I don't think it's an actual sigg toursit kit - no name on it - I think it's a non-name clone - but it seems like it's pretty much exactly the same thing.