New $99. GTX bivy sack

Posted by: 300winmag

New $99. GTX bivy sack - 09/22/09 03:17 PM

The Sportsman's Guide catalog came today and they have a new, U. S. military surplus Gore-Tex bivy bag for $99. (Top only is GTX) Made in U.S.A.

DIMENSIONS: 30" X 80"
WEIGHT: 2# 3oz.

Notta too bad, notta too bad. I'd buy it now but I just bought a TT Moment and I'm broke W/ discretionary funds.

(sportsmansguide.com)

Eric
Posted by: Glenn

Re: New $99. GTX bivy sack - 09/22/09 04:13 PM

Great price on GoreTex. I'd want to know what the bottom was made of, too. (Probably coated nylon, but it never hurts to ask.)

In that same price range, if I were looking for a bivy, I'd also consider the REI Minimalist. It's about a pound lighter, full side zip, and has a mesh panel over the head and neck area. However, it's a proprietary W/B fabric (Elements?), and there's no W/B cover over that mesh opening. So, it's designed for use with a tarp, not out in the open on its own. However, a good product at a good price - before lightweight tents (like the MSR Hubba line, Big Agnes offerings, and TarpTents) came along, I used a Minimalist a lot with a tarp. Now, I'd never even think about using one.

You made an excellent choice with the Moment, given what other folks are saying and the general reputation of TarpTent products.
Posted by: skinewmexico

Re: New $99. GTX bivy sack - 09/23/09 03:00 AM

Oh, but my TiGoat Ptarmigan is only 7 oz. and $110 with netting. Besides, you have a Moment, why do you need a bivy? I'll tell you what, I'll swap you my bivy for your Moment. Save me the trouble of selling my Lunar Solo.
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: New $99. GTX bivy sack - 09/23/09 07:23 PM

They can be had on ebay, brand new, for about $64.00 shipped. Just search "MSS bivy". Just ordered one because I want a very roomy, bomber bivy that I can throw directly on the ground. GTX is not the most breathable material and I expect to wake up with condensation. But I plan to use it mainly for simple one night trips.

From what I can gather, the military has switched to a new digital camo pattern and the old woodland camo sacks are flooding the surplus market.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: New $99. GTX bivy sack - 09/23/09 10:32 PM

OOOO! Trailrunner! Great find for a price on that bivy. I just put it up on a thread B/C I figured someone would want one. I'd like one only for winter snow cave camping .

Eric