eeny, meeny, miny, moe

Posted by: Paul

eeny, meeny, miny, moe - 09/13/09 11:04 PM

So, I'm looking for a new 2-person tent. My criteria, not necessarily in order of importance:
1) bugproof
2) poles attach to fly so fly can be set up first or fly & tent simultaneously, and fly can be used separately for non-buggy times or places
3) fly should come down pretty much to the ground, at least in vestibule area, so as to protect gear from splash.
4) plenty of headroom
5) light weight

After looking around some, I find myself gravitating towards 2 tents; Tarptent Scarp 2 and Big Sky Revolution 2.
They are very close to the same weight (assuming aluminum poles for the Revolution, and the 3-season configuration of the Scarp). The Revolution's fly comes right down to the ground, while the Scarp's fly stops a few inches above the ground. The Scarp looks to have more interior space; floor space looks pretty similar. I've heard many good things about Tarptent quality and customer service; The reviews I have read on Backpackgeartest of Big Sky tents give me the impression they are well made, but I have read horror stories about delivery times on their tents.

Anyone have strong opinions about either of these two tents, or suggestions on others I may have missed? I have looked at Hillebergs, by the way, but the Nallo 2, which would be the closest thing in their lineup, looks to be effectively less roomy due to the shallow slope at the foot of the tent. Unfortuantely I can't get my hands on any of them without buying, since no store in my area (SF bay area) stocks any of them, AFAIK.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: eeny, meeny, miny, moe - 09/14/09 02:39 AM

Quote:
Unfortuantely I can't get my hands on any of them without buying, since no store in my area (SF bay area) stocks any of them

You could call Henry Shires of Tarptent for an appointment and take a scenic drive to the Gold Rush country; he lives in Nevada City.
Posted by: deliriousNomad

Re: eeny, meeny, miny, moe - 09/14/09 11:57 AM

My regular hiking partner uses a Hilleberg Akto - and likes it a lot. I would fit your criteria.

Otherwise - I would stick with Mr. Shires - I had a Big Sky Evolution (not Revolution) and the pitch on it was tricky to get "just right". Perhaps having the outer poles would help with the pitch on the Revolution.
Posted by: Cesar

Re: eeny, meeny, miny, moe - 09/14/09 01:54 PM

Hilleberg has many tents that might fit your criteria besides just the akto. Going to be a lot more $$$ then the scarp though.