custom fit hiking footware

Posted by: deacon

custom fit hiking footware - 09/10/09 07:29 PM

Anyone know where to get custom made hiking shoes or boots?
To be more specific do to one leg being shorter than the other, one shoe needs 1/2 inch thicker sole with a 3/4 inch total for the heel. Most lightweight hiking foot wear has molded soles which do not allow the local shoe repair shop to alter. Any help would be appreciated as I enjoy my hiking partner, but may end up going more solo, especially on longer or multi-night outings.

Deacon
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: custom fit hiking footware - 09/11/09 06:15 AM

Limmer Boots in Innervale NH. Expensive but good. I have never had a pair but I know a couple of folks with similar problems and they have been happy.

http://www.limmerboot.com/
Posted by: deacon

Re: custom fit hiking footware - 09/11/09 01:11 PM

Thank you very much. I checked their site, thanks for the link. Exactly what we are looking for and yes it may cost a bit more but my wife(hiking partner) is worth it. We may even make it a short trip for personal fiting.
Thanks again.
Posted by: dralahiker

Re: custom fit hiking footware - 09/14/09 11:01 AM

I'll second the Limmer recommendation.

Great product and great service.

Their boots will last a couple of decades, if not a lifetime!

Drala
Posted by: ndsol

Re: custom fit hiking footware - 09/23/09 12:31 PM

I wear an off-the-shelf pair of Limmer's, but I understand that the waiting time for custom is years.

A guy I met on the trail last week has ordered a custom pair from a guy in Washington State and he says there is another in British Columbia that does similar work.