sleeping bag advice

Posted by: RHodo

sleeping bag advice - 09/08/09 11:48 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for some time but haven't said much because I'm new and feel that I've got a lot more to learn than to offer at this time. BUT...

I JUST GOT ME SOME CASH! So can anyone tell me where I should send the money to annoy off finallyME?

Seriously though, I could use some sleeping bag advice. I live in the Texas Hill Country and need a fall/winter bag that would also be appropriate for a JMT thru hike next year. I already have a 40 deg synthetic that I've used for warmer weather. Should I be looking at down or synthetic and what degree range would be best for the JMT?

Local trip plans this fall/winter include the Davis Mountains, Guadalupe Mountains National Park and of course, Big Bend.

Thanks in advance for your time and patience.

Regards,
Posted by: lori

Re: sleeping bag advice - 09/08/09 11:56 PM

Congrats on the extra $$$, good feeling, eh?

Not sure about the other locations on your list, but for a JMT hike - 30F rated at minimum for a July/August trip, and more like a 15F - 5F for closer to shoulder seasons trip. We had freezing temps and snow during the first week of August going over Donahue Pass and down to Red's. High elevation weather changes on a whim - not our whim, unfortunately.

With proper precautions down is more than adequate for Sierra travels. I love my down quilts. Higher quality down gear is very light and compressible, and it'll last for years. Western Mountaineering and Montbell seem to get consistently good reviews for being accurately rated. I was very tempted by a Summerlite or a Super Stretch, but have been controlling myself to save money as the gear I have is fine.
Posted by: RHodo

Re: sleeping bag advice - 09/10/09 11:20 PM

Lori,

Thanks for the info. I like the MontBell UL Super Stretch Down Hugger #3 (found one for $269) but was also considering the Sierra Designs Arrow Rock 30 Degree Down even though it's heavier because I saw it on Steep and Cheap last week for $125.

I've never seen either bag and was wondering if anyone out there had one or could provide more details?

Thanks,
Posted by: chris2k

Re: sleeping bag advice - 09/10/09 11:29 PM

Just purchased the UL SS #3 from campsaver.com for $275 for the long model. Of course, I haven't received it yet, so I can't comment on their service. But, $40 off listed MSRP is a good deal to me.

Will provide a review once mine comes in.
Posted by: skinewmexico

Re: sleeping bag advice - 09/11/09 01:19 AM

I'd get a WM Megalite, and a TiGoat bivy in case it gets colder. Although my Luxurylite keep me almost too warm at 21 degrees in the Davis Mountains last winter.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: sleeping bag advice - 09/11/09 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By RHodo

I JUST GOT ME SOME CASH! So can anyone tell me where I should send the money to annoy off finallyME?

I'll send you a PM with my mailing address. laugh

So, where in the Texas Hill country are you? I used to live outside San Antonio.
Posted by: raggs

Re: sleeping bag advice - 09/11/09 05:31 PM

I've never had the cash to buy one of these bags, and if I did I would give em a shot.

www.wiggys.com.

Posted by: deliriousNomad

Re: sleeping bag advice - 09/11/09 05:36 PM

Yes - Western Mountaineering are pretty much the best you can get IMHO. I also have a Megalite (30 degree), and love it.
The Alpinlite (20 degree) is also nice when the temps dip lower.

These bags have a rating - but I really think they keep you warm even when temps get below the rating...
Posted by: jasonklass

Re: sleeping bag advice - 09/12/09 01:25 PM

The Western Mountaineering Summerlite would be a great bag. I used that on Mt. Whitney.