Posted by: bigfoot2

One Pound Rifle!! - 09/07/09 09:13 PM

Opinions?
http://pakrifle.com/Pak-Rifle.html

Looks cool to me.

BF cool
Posted by: aimless

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/07/09 09:28 PM

BF2, this little item would be about as useful to me as one of those backpacker's esspresso makers, which I am sure are every bit as nifty as they say they are, but which are just another thing I can easily do without.

Doing without keeps my pack lighter and my wallet happier, too.
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/07/09 09:33 PM

Although that gun certainly carries a big cool factor, if I actually had a practical need for a firearm in that category I would gladly tote another 1.5 pounds and use the Henry/AR-7. Proven, cheaper and it's an autoloader.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

I think the weight of any piece of gear can be cut and cut and trimmed until it is no longer practical.
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/07/09 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By aimless
BF2, this little item would be about as useful to me as one of those backpacker's esspresso makers, which I am sure are every bit as nifty as they say they are, but which are just another thing I can easily do without.

Doing without keeps my pack lighter and my wallet happier, too.

Of course we can do without it....but it's COOL....

BF cool
Posted by: thecook

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/07/09 11:31 PM

Although it looks cool, I think I'd like a little more mass in my rifles, even for 22LR.
Posted by: Eric

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/07/09 11:33 PM

Cool, yes. But 22s have always struck me as big enough to get you into trouble but not big enough to get you out.

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/07/09 11:34 PM

It all depends on how good a shot you are and how much time you have.
Posted by: phat

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/07/09 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By Trailrunner
Although that gun certainly carries a big cool factor, if I actually had a practical need for a firearm in that category I would gladly tote another 1.5 pounds and use the Henry/AR-7. Proven, cheaper and it's an autoloader.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

I think the weight of any piece of gear can be cut and cut and trimmed until it is no longer practical.

Dunno, I've shot AR-7's a couple of times and my impression of them is that they are nicer to shoot than a prison zip gun, but only by a little..... While it looks spartan if there's a little bit of quality to it it might be ok.

And it is cool..

OTOH, it's a pound I wouldn't take smile

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/07/09 11:47 PM

I've never had the pleasure(?) of shooting an AR7 but have played with plenty of other fun toys. In general, I have been a target shooter, rather than a hunter, and prefer a gun the has some heft so it settles into place nicely.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/08/09 01:38 PM

Well executed design but a bit pricey unless you need it as survival gear for your ultralight aircraft. It SHOULD be in .22 Magnum for best effectiveness. About 75% more powerful than a .22 LR.

Carbon fiber wrapped barrels have been around for a few years. Very stiff and accurate but don't shed heat well from centerfire cartridges. Here, with .22 LR cartridges it's not an issue.

Eric
Posted by: phat

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/08/09 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By 300winmag
Well executed design but a bit pricey unless you need it as survival gear for your ultralight aircraft. It SHOULD be in .22 Magnum for best effectiveness. About 75% more powerful than a .22 LR.

Dunno if I agree with that Eric - if I have a .22 Mag as my survival gun I just have a few fewer shells for the weight, and if I'm shooting bunnies and grouse I just have more ruined meat. If I'm shooting at moose I need a heart shot anyway, and it doesn't matter there either (Lots of moose get shot up here with .22lr...)

If it were my airplane the .22LR version would go in, preferably with a .308 as well but it'd do in a pinch.

Posted by: Dryer

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/08/09 04:20 PM

That's an interesting idea. I'd want a trigger guard.

I was looking at these for light, multi shot, and accurate:
http://www.naaminis.com/bwmm.html

8.8 and 10.7 oz. and you get both .22 LR and Mag cylanders and seems like I saw a stock for them somewhere.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/08/09 05:20 PM

I think I still like the m6 scout over the ar-7. But, not having fired any, I really can't say one way or the other. Too bad they don't make the m6 anymore.

M6 scout
Posted by: Steven

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/08/09 09:29 PM

hmmm for the same amount of weight I would skip the .22 and carry my colt .45. grin

I certainly wouldn't plan on shooting at anything really long distance with a .22 and if I am taking an aimed shot with a good rest, I can make a 25 yard shot with my .45 and hit just about anything.

Now if I was trying to get a squirrel for some quick meat, the .45 would certainly not be a good option, but it will take out a mean wild pig if needed. I wouldn't try it with a bear. Its still better to avoid them all together.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/09/09 01:06 PM

I can hit a squirrel at 50 yards with a .22, and I am a bad shot.

Anyways, I am looking at the 17 HMR for my next small game rifle.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/10/09 03:50 AM

Phat,

I've hunted with both .22 LR and .22 Win Mag. I'll take the longer range and effective killing power of the .22 Win Mag any day.

My Ruger 96/22 lever action rifle is in .22 Win Mag and it's a great groundhog slayer out to 100 yards and I've nailed a few squirrels with it. The meat damage was nil as long as I used solid nose CCI rounds. The poly tipped Remington rounds are great for longer ranges because of their greater Ballistic Coefficient and they open up nicely.

LOVE that .22 Win Mag round! Anyone have a Ruger 10/22 Win Mag auto rifle they want to sell?

Eric
Posted by: Bearpaw

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/11/09 08:38 PM

I knew an AT thru-hiker from 10 years ago who carried an AR-7 on his hike. He carried mo-skeet-o rounds and occasionally bagged grouse and squirrels. I don't know about the legality of it, whether he had in-state licenses and what-not, but between that and his 1-pound fly rod, he supplemented his trail diet a bit.

I'd say the AR-7 is a decent option, but don't know about the rifle in the OP.
Posted by: CCH

Re: One Pound Rifle!! - 09/15/09 10:00 PM

Although the one pound weight is sort of magical, the price isn't. Ryan Jordan has a blurb on his blog about using one on grouse. In a discussion elsewhere I suggested that one could make a two pound rifle -- possibly a bit less -- from a Cricket or preferably a Chipmunk. It would take down to about a 19" long package and should cost closer to $125 than $400.