Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack

Posted by: Barry II

Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/07/09 04:06 PM

I'm looking for a backpack just large enough to hold a one-man tent (18" maybe) plus some smaller things. I also want the small size because it will blend better in the city. Maybe I'll stay overnight in the wilderness at some point, but it's mainly for suburban campgrounds within two miles of civilization (stores).

I want it to be very water resistant so I could feel safe putting my briefcase in it and walking several miles to work in the rain (not sure I'll actually do this, but I've seen waterproof roll-top models so I figured I should get something like that just in case).

I may take 15-20 mile walks, so I want the ventilation (for my back, not the contents). Any ideas?
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/08/09 12:52 AM

Hi Barry,

Sounds like you need to hunt down a Dana Raid Z, which is basically a packframe that totes a drybag.

There are very few truly waterproof backpacks and the most common are drybags with shoulder straps, which are fine for summit bids but lousy for ventilation, load control, support etc. ArcTeryx makes a series of welded seam waterproof packs, but I don't know if they come in a size for your needs.

Happy hunting!

Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/08/09 03:55 AM

Okay, instead of looking on e-bay, I'm changing my requirements. Rain-proof isn't important since I can use an internal dry bag, but I don't want a metal frame. I'm afraid it will attract lightening. I'll search tomorrow.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/12/09 10:12 AM

Your fear of lightning seems a little extreme. You might want to do some more research on the subject.

Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/12/09 06:19 PM

I already read this which says "If you have a metal frame pack, leave it 100 feet from where you are seeking shelter."
Posted by: lori

Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/12/09 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By Barry II
I already read this which says "If you have a metal frame pack, leave it 100 feet from where you are seeking shelter."

If you do that in my neck of the woods (Sierras, around JMT and Yosemite) you will be stuck in the wilderness with no pack, since the bears will have dragged off your pack to investigate (ie, tear it up). I'll sleep with the pack, thanks. The odds are against being struck by lightening; the chance of having a bear come through camp - well, no chance involved. They will, they do, they bite and lick everything you leave out.

Then again, my pack has a few metal bolts and a tepex frame. So I have even less reason to worry, I guess.

Seriously - you are too worried about lightening.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/13/09 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By Barry II

That is a great source, did you read the whole thing, or only what you wanted to hear?

"There are actually very few people struck by lightning while hiking, although around 70 people are killed in the US each year by lightning. If you stay alert and play it safe, you'll be just fine."

The part about the pack is only when you are IN a lightning storm. How many times have you been in a lightning storm? How many times have you NOT been in a lightning storm? Compare those two numbers. I think you are over emphasizing the danger from lightning. I would suggest you follow ALL the advice from the site you referenced.

Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/13/09 06:41 PM

I read a bunch of it. If people could spend $100 to save 5 ounces, I could simply choose a non-metal frame for my first pack. Except someone mentioned that carbon fiber conducts electricity so I guess I'll look for plastic. I don't suppose they make wooden frames. And the ideal pack would have a collapsible frame so it fits in an attache case once I arrive at work. I don't expect to find the ideal pack but I'll at least look for it.

If I had to keep it 100 feet away, I'd probably hang it from a tree like food.
Posted by: lori

Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/13/09 07:22 PM

I think you're not thinking straight - look at the abundance of packs with metal frames, the actual number of people struck by lightening, and then go get yourself bundled up in a padded suit because far more injuries and deaths occur in the wilderness from FALLS. And then get yourself a bicycle to ride to the trailhead, because your chances of an accident are CRAZY high as compared to the odds of being struck by lightening.

Either that, or you just want to rile us up. The odds of that happening are pretty slim, too. I'm just sitting here thinking of all the external frames and Ospreys I saw on the JMT last week in stormy weather and shaking my head at you.
Posted by: bigb

Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/13/09 09:06 PM

Still wish I could type the twilight zone theme
Posted by: Folkalist

Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/16/09 09:46 AM

Maybe bigfoot will find a youtube link to it for ya!
Posted by: theepdinker

Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/16/09 01:44 PM

Here you go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

theep
Posted by: bigb

Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack - 08/16/09 01:51 PM

How awesome was that, made my day, Rod Serling is still a genius and probably still smoking haha, thank you