Permanent marker on Bibler Tripod Bivy

Posted by: mister667

Permanent marker on Bibler Tripod Bivy - 08/03/09 02:39 PM

Hi

Unfortunately someone have made a drawing with a permanent marker on my Bibler Tripod Bivy. I have emailed Blackdiamond customer service but they couldn't tell me for sure how to remove it without damaging the fabric. I was hoping that someone in here might be able to help me out, thanks.
Posted by: phat

Re: Permanent marker on Bibler Tripod Bivy - 08/03/09 09:35 PM

Depends what kind of "permanent" marker. Most typical ones will come out with methyl alcohol - which I don't think will hurt the fabric but I can't say for sure. try a little bit on a test place first.

Posted by: Andy

Re: Permanent marker on Bibler Tripod Bivy - 08/03/09 09:42 PM

Cheap hairspray or nail polish remover has tons of acetone in it, but I don't know what that'll do to the fabric either.

Nail polish remover DOES come in plastic bottles, so....

??
Posted by: phat

Re: Permanent marker on Bibler Tripod Bivy - 08/03/09 10:39 PM

acetone is not methyl alcohol.. acetone dissolves a lot of synthetic fabrics
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Permanent marker on Bibler Tripod Bivy - 08/03/09 11:01 PM

Try GOO-GONE on a tiny corner of the fabric. That stuff is amazing.

In any case repaitr the cleaned area's DWR with a good spraying of REVIVEX, like you'd use on Gore-Tex garments to restore its DWR.

Eric
Posted by: BpackerDon

Re: Permanent marker on Bibler Tripod Bivy - 08/04/09 01:32 AM

You might also try a product called "Goof-Off" Great for getting rid of paint and many inks. TRY it on a spot you don't care about first!! Also, this product will NOT be good on plastic lenses etc- in makes the plastic cloudy.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Permanent marker on Bibler Tripod Bivy - 08/04/09 10:19 AM

I say take a permanent marker and mark over the spot. Either make a cool picture, or just a black spot.
Posted by: MountainMinstrel

Re: Permanent marker on Bibler Tripod Bivy - 08/04/09 08:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Like a coverup tattoo!
Posted by: Ecrow

Re: Permanent marker on Bibler Tripod Bivy - 08/05/09 11:11 PM

Were you doing something that warranted a drawing?
Posted by: mister667

Re: Permanent marker on Bibler Tripod Bivy - 08/09/09 04:46 PM

hi

Thanks for all your replies. I read about Goo-gone and goof-off elsewhere on the net, but I live in Denmark and I haven't had any luck finding the product here. Do you know of a similar product in Denmark/Europe? Otherwise I will just have to order it outside the country. And no, I didn't do anything that warranted a drawing, I simply had it with me on a festival and a guy thought it funny to make a drawing. He actually drew a huge penis, half the size of the front of the tent, so you can properly imagine what it looks like when I lies in my tent....But I can only smile at it, done is done wink But it also makes it kind of hard to overdraw with just a black dot or something else.

I hope you can recommend a danish/European product which might do the trick, I figure my modded tent might make some people look strange on the next trip I'm on.
Posted by: ohiohiker

Re: Permanent marker on Bibler Tripod Bivy - 08/11/09 04:12 PM

Your bivy isn't silnylon, but on silnylon, mineral spirits is safe to use because that's what dilutes the silicone sealer and allows it to be spread. I'd try pure alcohol first, as it seems to be least likely to damage the fabric. Try mineral spirits (used for paint dilution and cleanup) if alcohol doesn't work.

If that doesn't work, and you're stuck with the drawing, get a tarp. They're less phallic-shaped, and thus less likely to inspire drawings like this. grin