Cameras: weight vs quality

Posted by: RavenSong

Cameras: weight vs quality - 07/21/09 01:54 PM

I really never leave my house without one of my cameras, but I am not normally also carrying a pack. I'm very new to backpacking and I have been trying to reconcile my want to bring a quality camera and keep my pack truly lite. I know there are extremely small digital cameras, but they don't have the control I am used to.

Any suggestions to help me keep my pack lite but still bring along a quality camera to document my trip? I would appreciate any suggestions from alternate cameras to alternate carrying methods.

Thank you!
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Cameras: weight vs quality - 07/21/09 03:52 PM

Hi,

Since backpacking is an opportunity to see a lot of new things, a camera is certainly good to have along. Can I suggest you review the threads in the Backpacking Photography Discussion forum (in Photography & Gallery) to get started? There are a lot of specific suggestions on models--both dslr and compact. FWIW I carry an LX3 when I don't have room for an slr, and it's a very good camera with a lot of control options.

Cheers,
Posted by: aimless

Re: Cameras: weight vs quality - 07/21/09 06:03 PM

Since you obviously value photography and have already purchased several cameras, perhaps you wouldn't be put off by the expense of a high-end Panasonic Lumix camera. These seem to offer some of the best performance-to-weight ratios I know of.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Cameras: weight vs quality - 07/21/09 09:42 PM

Have a look at the Pana LX3/Canon G10 (choose based on the lens you like, more w/a or more tele) for "compacts with some control.
Or Olympus E420/450- Nikon D5000 for larger (much) sensors and more versatility.
The new Olympus Pen E P1 could be ideal if you are happy with a fix lens or the "standard" and very compact 28-84mm equivalent.
Franco