Just won an eTrex Legend GPS from work

Posted by: Knaight

Just won an eTrex Legend GPS from work - 05/08/09 03:33 PM

Has anyone used this GPS before? Any good? I'm pretty excited. Also won a 100 oz camelbak m.u.l.e. and a blood pressure monitor (not sure I'll use that on the trail...).
Posted by: Heber

Re: Just won an eTrex Legend GPS from work - 05/09/09 09:45 PM

I own one and it works fine for getting me unlost smile

But you really need to buy the Topo maps to make it useful at all.

Re: Just won an eTrex Legend GPS from work - 05/10/09 12:46 PM

Believe it or not, I think it comes with the maps. The thing I got wasn't too specific, it just said eTrex Legend GPS w/ trail maps. I think that means it's actually coming with the set. Probably shouldn't get my hopes up, though.
Posted by: Cesar

Re: Just won an eTrex Legend GPS from work - 05/12/09 05:29 PM

not sure which legend you have but if you can put an sd card in it you might want to check this site out.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
You can download topo maps for free. I've read to be careful uploading maps to onboard memory for obvious reasons. Make sure you make a backup.

Re: Just won an eTrex Legend GPS from work - 05/12/09 06:03 PM

Nice! Thanks for the tip!

Posted by: zach

Re: Just won an eTrex Legend GPS from work - 05/14/09 09:10 PM

i own the legend and i like it, its a good simple gps. one thing i found though is that in medium tree cover you will lose satellites. since it doesnt have a high sensitivity sensor it needs a clear view of the sky, but other than that its better than nothing and with waas enabled you get a little extra precision.. got it for 100$ so congrats on yours!