Colder weather mattress combos??

Posted by: 300winmag

Colder weather mattress combos?? - 04/28/09 11:08 PM

What are your cold weather mattress combos?

I have a choice:

1. 3/4 length Thermarest "regular" thickness
PLUS full length RidgeRest beneath

2. 3/4 length Thermarest regular
PLUS full length Thermarest Lite (1st light version they made in the '80s) underneath

#1 has been the warmest for me but not by much and
the Light Theremarest packs down MUCH smaller that the RidgeRest, which is nice with all the other bulky gear for winter

I will not be using my Neo-Air in temps I know will be below freezing B/C I don't want any ice that may form inside from my breath condensation to damage the mattress when I roll it up.

Eric

Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Colder weather mattress combos?? - 04/28/09 11:50 PM

(1)Full length "regular" Thermarest.

(2)Cheapo blue foam full length pad.

I sleep fine directly on ice/snow with these. The blue foam doubles as my camp chair and it's bombproof just in case the inflatable punctures.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Colder weather mattress combos?? - 04/29/09 11:28 AM

I use a full length thermarest (trail model with no holes cut in the foam) over a full length ensolite pad. Very warm, but I am out in temps down to around -15F.

Have you tried the full length Thermarest lite orver the ridgerest?
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Colder weather mattress combos?? - 04/29/09 01:45 PM

At 0F, I use:
GG Thinlight (2oz) underneath a GG Nightlight (8oz, ¾ length old style), bumps down. My bag is the WM Antelope in a GG Squall Classic Tent.

I usually can’t sleep on plain CCF pads. But for some reason, in the winter, they feel nice. Of course my WM bag adds a little plush even if it is scrunched.

In the summer, I switch back to my ¾ length Prolite 4 (16oz).

If anyone uses the blue foam mat in the winter, be sure it’s of high quality. Some of those walmart pads are terrible in R value.

-Barry
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Colder weather mattress combos?? - 04/29/09 07:59 PM

"Cook",

Yes, I used my Thermarest Lite over the RidgeRest once and it worked OK but not quite as well as the regular thickness 3/4 length Thermarest.I have to add that with this 3/4 length mattress I use a closed cell foam 18" sit pad under my lower legs as well.

Eric
Posted by: phat

Re: Colder weather mattress combos?? - 04/29/09 08:16 PM

I'm happy down to touching into the -5 -7 centigrade range in my hammock. colder than that I go to ground with a BA insulated aircore. if it's getting below -15C I top it with a CCF foam pad. below -25C I usually end up with a sandwitch, two ccf pads with the aircore in the middle.

I used to use a regular thermarest in place of the BA, now I use that.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Colder weather mattress combos?? - 04/29/09 11:28 PM

I use a blue 3/8" ccf mattress under my exped7 Down Air Mattress.
I've taken this down to mid 30's in my hammock so this should be plenty good on the ground down in the teens.
Posted by: zach

Re: Colder weather mattress combos?? - 04/30/09 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By Trailrunner
(1)Full length "regular" Thermarest.

(2)Cheapo blue foam full length pad.

I sleep fine directly on ice/snow with these. The blue foam doubles as my camp chair and it's bombproof just in case the inflatable punctures.

my exact setup, except i do lay a space blanket under both if im on top of snow which im sure helps a little bit.
Posted by: jasonklass

Re: Colder weather mattress combos?? - 05/02/09 02:43 PM

I use a full length foam pad with a 3/4 length REI Lite Core on top. Nice and cozy.