Tent recommendations

Posted by: rootball

Tent recommendations - 02/18/09 05:08 PM

I am considering the Sierra Designs Lightning 2 or the Kelty Ridge - each cost 154.00 plus shipping (< $10.00). Weights are similar. To my knowledge both Sierra Designs and Kelty have good customer service. The Kelty Ridge appears to have more fabric and less netting - I guess this could be good in winter, but not so good in summer.
It will be for one person, 4 seasons. Mild seasons of the South East, that is.
One thing about the Kelty that worries me is the way the pole holds the vistible up in the front - it looks sort of flimsy? Not sure.
Can anyone point out other things I should consider before I purchse one of these tents? Thank you, Scotty
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: Tent recommendations - 02/18/09 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By rootball

It will be for one person, 4 seasons. Mild seasons of the South East, that is.
Can anyone point out other things I should consider before I purchse one of these tents? Thank you, Scotty

Well, if it's just for one person, four seasons, and you're not a hammocker (for some strange reason), why not just splurge and get the best?

http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

BF cool
Posted by: energy_turtle

Re: Tent recommendations - 02/18/09 05:27 PM

Considering the budget and your needs, I'd recommend looking at the SD Baku 1. Campsaver still has them at 40% off and it's even lighter at 3.5 lbs packed weight...$138. The rainfly is integrated, but there's plenty of surface area that can be zipped open to allow good airflow in the summer. Plus the vestibule is huge for a single sleeper.

http://www.campsaver.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=sid0075
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Tent recommendations - 02/19/09 03:17 PM

“Can anyone point out other things I should consider before I purchse one of these tents?”

Maybe consider something lighter and lower cost. Eureka makes good tents (the AL pole versions).

Mull over Eureka’s Spitfire ($99 and good reviews): http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23889 3lbs 4oz. or shave off another 10 oz w/ the UL version.

If you watch for used tents on all the boards, you should be able to score well with a used Tarptent--- these are lighter yet.

-Barry
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Tent recommendations - 02/19/09 03:57 PM

I like Bigfoot's suggestion, but as with so many things, I think it's hard --- or perhaps perilous --- to ask for suggestions without really and very specifically nailing down what it is that you want to optimise, and ideally, in what priority order. Cost? Weight? Rain/weather proof? Strong in storms? Warm or well ventilated? Interior space? Footprint (space required to pitch)? Is it important or preferred that it be free-standing? Something that will last decades, or is weight a priority over that? The more of these sorts of things that you specify --- recognizing that some must be traded off against others --- I think the better chance that someone can suggest a tent that is optimal for you --- otherwise, I think there's too much chance that you'll hear about what they consider optimal for them.
Posted by: GDeadphans

Re: Tent recommendations - 02/20/09 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By BrianLe
I think there's too much chance that you'll hear about what they consider optimal for them.

True, I was just about to do that.

And still will lol

I have a Marmot Twilight 2P. Love it. Though I consider it still lightweight, it is heavier than some would like...however it with stands rain flawlessly, and I hardly ever have a moisture issue. It was the best bang for the buck while still in my budget. Great tent, I love it! But....it is whats good for me xP.

For ultralight trips, I use just a tarp my dad gave me from way back when. Its just a 10X8 lightweight fabric with 4 grommets on each side.. I don't know where he got it, or what company makes it though. He has a lot of gear from companies I never heard of before