using coleman propane canisters w/ MSR or Jetboil

Posted by: iamtherobotofpop

using coleman propane canisters w/ MSR or Jetboil - 02/04/09 12:52 AM

just curious if its possible to use standard coleman type propane canisters (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5412A700&categoryid=2010) with the standard butane/propane type stoves, like the MSR or jetboil types.....

and adapter of some sort would be required.... is there a commercially availible one out there???

has anyone out there tried propane with this type of stove?? Safety issues????

thanks for reading, any input would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks!
Posted by: phat

Re: using coleman propane canisters w/ MSR or Jetboil - 02/04/09 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By iamtherobotofpop
just curious if its possible to use standard coleman type propane canisters (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5412A700&categoryid=2010) with the standard butane/propane type stoves, like the MSR or jetboil types.....

and adapter of some sort would be required.... is there a commercially availible one out there???

has anyone out there tried propane with this type of stove?? Safety issues????

thanks for reading, any input would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks!

Nope. because the MSR/jetboil type stoves use isoproane/butane blends, not pure propane - which those heavy green canisters are. I've fiddled about with refilling those - more trouble than it's really worth.

Trust me, you don't want to try anything this whacky - it will be dangerous. If you can't buy real isopro canisters for your stove because they are expensive, consider making a homemade alcohol stove like many of us (including myself) carry in a lot of cases. A litre of methyl hydrate costs a couple of bucks at the hardware store and you can backpack on it for a couple of weeks or more.

Posted by: iamtherobotofpop

Re: using coleman propane canisters w/ MSR or Jetboil - 02/04/09 02:29 AM

thank you for the reply!!

i had a feeling this wasnt really a common thing, i searched quite a bit, and figured if i couldnt find one, then it probably didnt exhist....

i dont mind buying MSR or Jetboil canisters.... i DO however have access to a whole bunch of the coleman propane ones (freebies from a relative).... i was just looking for more flexibilty from my ultralight MSR stove....

i guess ill just breakdown and buy one of the cheap coleman propane stoves, see how it works with my one-nighters.... im not so much concerned with the weight for short trips.... i am curious to see how long one of the propane cylinders will last me....

thanks again for the reply....

Posted by: Rick_D

Re: using coleman propane canisters w/ MSR or Jetboil - 02/04/09 12:32 PM

Yup, propane's vapor pressure is far greater than butane and isobutane and for one major difference, it doesn't require a preheat tube to work at subfreezing temps. I suspect a preheat type iso-pro burner would be quite dangerous with straight propane.

Once upon a time you could get a simple two-legged burner head that would work with a propane cylinder (forming the third leg of a tripod) for "backpacking." The burner itself was light but the cylinders are crazy heavy, again due to propane's high vapor pressure.