Boots are back at STP

Posted by: hoz

Boots are back at STP - 01/29/09 12:50 PM

The "good ones" are back at Sierra Trading Post. These are REAL BOOTS (not glorified running shoes). Italian made, Norwegian welt construction (can be resoled), full grain, smooth leather. Made to last a lifetime.

Alico Tahoe
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product...sProcessed=true

Alico Summit

Alico Mountaineering

Posted by: sabre11004

Re: Boots are back at STP - 01/29/09 05:33 PM

Dang, looks like I could use them in my exercise regime as ankle weights....sabre11004....

The first step that you take will be one of those that get you there !!!!
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Boots are back at STP - 01/30/09 12:41 AM

Hoz:

"Weight: 3 lb. 4 oz. pr." -- as long as the rest of you has gone ultralight.

"(They) are crafted by a small factory of artisans located in the Italian Dolomites" juxtaposed with "(having) sturdy Norwegian welt construction" has me wondering one of three things:
1. the EU is a wonderful thing.
2. Norwegian cobblers have been put into forced labor camps in the Italian Dolomites.
3. Because of continental drift, the Dolomites are fording the fjords of Snorway. grin

Those are some beautiful boots and if your feet are hopelessly devoted to them, even with a 12-pound base weight, you still might not be able to give them up -- and shouldn't have to give them up.

(BTW, here's the skinny on "Norwegian Welt construction" of shoes by Italian artisans.)

Re: Boots are back at STP - 01/30/09 07:31 AM

It's nice to know someone appreciates good boots and even knows what "Norwegian welt" means. I had a pair of Raichles in the early 70's that stayed with me until the mid 80's with 2 resoles. I had to eventually throw them away because I used them painting and the leather got ruined.

As for my feet being hopelessly devoted to them once they are broken in a well built leather boot conforms to the foot like a glove. But I sometimes wonder which actually gives first, the boot or the foot?
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Boots are back at STP - 01/30/09 06:02 PM

Of course the issue lies more in how few cobblers are left these days. About one in the greater Seattle that does boots.

I prefer lightweight boots myself over the old 'waffle stompers'. They just feel SO much better end of the day! (I also am known to hike in trail runners often as well.....)

Re: Boots are back at STP - 01/31/09 08:18 AM

I read that cobblers are doing good business in todays economy. More people want to refurbish their shoes rather than throw them out. It only makes sense, especially when you have a C note or more in them.

Most all lightweight hiking shoes today are throw aways after they wear out. What you gonna do with a bonded sole?

I've tried hiking in running shoes and trail hikers, and "at the end of the day" I'm always foot sore.

Maybe walking 59 years on flat feet did it, but I get better support from a regular boot.
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Boots are back at STP - 01/31/09 11:34 AM

For me it is all about the insoles smile That is where I drop the money.

And as well....I get bored with gear - I like new boots every 2 to 3 years.

I remember wearing waffle stompers and the pain that came with them in the evening frown Kind of like that feeling of lightness you would get when you took a 45 lb pack off at lunch....where you feel like floating away eek

Lol...I have walked in Croc's even. Now that was comfort! crazy

Re: Boots are back at STP - 01/31/09 07:18 PM

You know it must be an age or regional thing, but I would never call these particular boots "waffle stompers". To me, w stompers were the lightweight boots that came along AFTER this sytle of climbing boot. The Vasque Sundowners, Hi Tecs, Dunhams, (I think the Dunham WAS actually named the Waffle Stomper).

To me, these are classic climbing boots.
Posted by: skinewmexico

Re: Boots are back at STP - 02/03/09 09:34 AM

I had a pair of Dunham's, way back in the day. Norwegian welt and all. Definitely not waffle stompers.

Re: Boots are back at STP - 02/03/09 07:04 PM

So,what does "waffle stomper" mean to you?