Braided Nylon Mason's Line

Posted by: jpanderson80

Braided Nylon Mason's Line - 12/31/08 09:47 AM

Has anyone used braided nylon mason's line for tie outs? I haven't used it exclusively until a few weeks ago when I replaced all the tieouts on my tarp with this. I'm wondering how it will hold up. Any ideas?

I hated the idea of spending $15 for 50ft. of the Kelty Triptease line.
Posted by: chaz

Re: Braided Nylon Mason's Line - 12/31/08 10:21 AM

JP, I have used Marshalltown braided mason line for my tarp lines and also use it for it's real intended purpose of running lines to lay concrete block etc in a straight line.
Plus, it comes in rolls so you have enough to waste or replace if it gets tangled. I use a wooden hiking staff and wrap several feet around the upper part for emergency line. The color doesn't glow like triptease but does come in yellow and orange and I think pink.
Posted by: jpanderson80

Re: Braided Nylon Mason's Line - 12/31/08 10:47 AM

How does it handle abrasion? I'm assuming that it would have the strength without a problem, but the tieouts and stakes would rub just enough to cause a problem. I'm probably being overly concerned about this though... It's probably not a big deal.

Re: Braided Nylon Mason's Line - 12/31/08 10:56 AM

I think it holds up good. In the field I reuse the line if it's a long piece. Plus I pull it very tight when setting forms for a concrete pour. It only breaks if it's very worn.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Braided Nylon Mason's Line - 12/31/08 11:12 AM

Another alternative is the braided, cored, nylon cord sold for window blinds at your local fabric store. This cord is strong (around 100 lb test), non-stretchy, and has a harder finish than masons cord so is less likely to pick up weed seeds and other debris. It is a bit heavier per foot than masons cord but is a lot easier to untie after a knot has been loaded. The stuff I use weighs just about one oz for 25'. Doesn't reflect light though.
You might need to look around a bit because some of the blind cord I have seen (at WalMart) has a fuzzy, snaggy surface that markedly reduces its usability.

Re: Braided Nylon Mason's Line - 12/31/08 11:32 AM

The mason line does want to tangle. I usually find a small piece of stick to wind it on. I haven't had to cut and retie yet but that's why I carry xtra.
Posted by: Ulhiker

Re: Braided Nylon Mason's Line - 12/31/08 12:28 PM

I use mason's twine on all my tarp setups and have not experienced any degradation in the past year. It holds up very good to repeated use.
Oz
Posted by: Drake

Re: Braided Nylon Mason's Line - 12/31/08 12:58 PM

Another alternative to mason line is braided decron kit string, I currently have 2 spools of 1000ft (a bright yellow and a maroon/red) and its very light, doesn't want to tangle, comes in varies tensil strength (i think mine is 150#), many colors available, etc

Just an idea..

drake
Posted by: jasonklass

Re: Braided Nylon Mason's Line - 01/02/09 09:45 PM

Actually, I carry Mason's line with me all the time for guy outs. I've even used it for bear bagging and it's abrasion resistance is pretty good. Like anything, it has it's advantages and disadvantages but for the price and reduced bulk, I think it's a winner.