My goretex wore off

Posted by: rootball

My goretex wore off - 12/09/08 04:27 PM

I have an old pair of OR goretex mittens. The outershell is in fantastic condition, but the goretex laminate has worn off of the interior on the palms of both gloves. Worse on the left - I am left handed and tend to carry treking pole in the that hand most often. I really do not want to replace these, but would like them to be water proof again. I do not care if they are breathable in the repaired area, but am more concerned of skin contact with some toxic or smelly chemical - like, if I patched this area with silicone and them had my hand in them for a long day it might not be good for me. And I use them more often without a liner glove than with. But if I had to I could get a thin liner glove to wear. I am open to repair suggestions and would really like to be able to continue using these mittens. What the worn/damaged area looks like is --- donut icing peeling off or like when the pu coating comes off the nylon.. Not sure if that is a good description.
Posted by: northernbcr

Re: My goretex wore off - 12/09/08 06:31 PM

very good description for me . not really sure what you could use there are some sprays but they need to be redone and i have not tried this. in our one outdoor store they carry a water proofing that you actually pour into a tub and soak item in has anybody tried this type of stuff.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: My goretex wore off - 12/13/08 05:52 PM

Root,

I'd coat the worn part with a very light coat of SHOE GOO or at least Seam Seal.

The backs of the mittens still breathe and that's enough. I too have two pair of OR GTX mittens. The XL size is for my DOUBLE(!) layer pile liners for sub-zero temps.

I was a nordic patroller in the '79 Pre-Olympics at Lake Placid. The last day it was -40F. Yes, -40F. I wore nylon mitten shells (non-GTX) with surplus wool gloves under very thick Austrian boiled wool mittens. I was so warm I had to remove my gloves. I still have those Dachstein boiled wool mitten liners for my "lighter" mittens.

Eric
Posted by: rootball

Re: My goretex wore off - 12/18/08 04:54 PM

Think I will use marine goop in a thin layer. I placed the marine goop in hot, almost boiling water for 10 minutes and then opened it to put some on my shoes - it really made the stuff easy to work with. The tube of goop may harden on me - but I was trying to find a way to make it more workable. I will have the grippiest gloves in the world when this task is done. I'm gonna test it on a small area, of course. I'll let you know how it works after some use.