Looking for older candle lantern

Posted by: frediver

Looking for older candle lantern - 11/25/08 06:05 PM

I am trying to locate an older model of candle lantern with a
flip open hinged top for lighting, I think UCO made them but I'm not sure.
It was a collapsible full size candle model.
I know LED lights out preform them but I like to collect
old style gear. Does anyone have an idea where I could find one,
who really did make them, etc.
Thanks
Posted by: TomD

Re: Looking for older candle lantern - 11/25/08 06:25 PM

We just had this discussion two weeks ago. I'm not sure what you mean by flip open top, but the ones we were talking about are the UCO designed lanterns that telescope up out of the base.

candle lantern thread

OCO's website
UCO
Posted by: alanwenker

Re: Looking for older candle lantern - 11/25/08 06:37 PM

I scored one of the style you refer to from ebay. I don't these were made by uco. They do show up from time to time on ebay, but not often. I also like candle lanterns, I want one of the telescoping variety made in France from the 1970's. I do have one by Trangia which is rather rare.
Posted by: rootball

I remenber them. They had a sort of cup for a top lid that had a small hinge on one side. I remember the brass one that came with a red velvet sleeve to store it in. I always wanted one, but never got around to buying it. If it came from UCO, and I think it did, they might have some info on their website.
As far as led goes - I use one every trip, but in winter there is almost always a red UCO hanging inside my tipee. It provides warmth, reduces condensation, and I like the dancing flame.
Posted by: frediver

Thanks,
Search only works when you have the exact search terms.
I sure wish members would not be so general in the subject line
it would make searching much easier if the subjects were a bit more specific.What part of that url do I cut n paste to find the thread you are referring to? I tried the entire identifier but it does not take
me anywhere.
Thanks
Posted by: TomD

Re: Looking for older candle lantern - 11/25/08 06:42 PM

The search term I used was "candle lantern." I doubt seriously that there isn't at least one thread here about every kind of gear ever made. You just have to spend some time using different search terms until it shows up.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Looking for older candle lantern - 11/25/08 08:19 PM

Cementing my coot status, a loooong time back REI sold three styles of candle lanterns: Aluminum and mica box-style ones that folded flat--they might have been Swedish but I can't recall, French glass and aluminum collapsable ones with spring feed candle (the genesis of the UCO design) and a Japanese glass and aluminum tea candle light. The OP seems to be describing that last one. I think I still have my French one in a box somewhere.

Quote:
We just had this discussion two weeks ago. I'm not sure what you mean by flip open top, but the ones we were talking about are the UCO designed lanterns that telescope up out of the base.

candle lantern thread

OCO's website
UCO
Posted by: BorealHiker

Re: Looking for older candle lantern - 11/27/08 03:42 PM

While we're on this. There's a candle lantern which I think comes from the 70s or 80s called the Camp Zeek, or something like that. I had one given to me at the very bottom of my trekking years, and it was never used right, and all I have now is parts of it.

It seems to have been a precursor to the UCOs we all seem to know now. But it used a much narrower candle, almost like candlestick diameter, in a length similar to the UCO. It must have been spring-driven. I don't have the spring now, but the rest of it was made of aluminum.

I would love to get one of these! Anyone heard of them? I, also, collect things like this, and may actually use it if I find it.
Posted by: ChiefBob

Re: Looking for older candle lantern - 12/02/08 03:29 PM

Frediver,
Check out the folding brass candle lantern at:http://www.garrettwade.com/portable-brass-candle-lantern/p/83R02ddd01/ $31 A bit pricey, but it looks quite nice. This company specializes in high quality hand tools, so I'm confident that it will be worth the price. I'm probably going to buy two, one for myself (even though I don't really need it) and one for a gift.
Posted by: alanwenker

Re: Looking for older candle lantern - 12/03/08 07:00 AM

I have the 1970's version of the Garret Wade lantern, but mine is not made of brass. Something to think about.