liner gloves

Posted by: ajherman

liner gloves - 10/11/08 04:06 PM

I am looking to replace my old liners. I have been looking at the mountain hardware butter, the sierra designs cocona, and Under Armour liner gloves. I have long fingers and have tried on the smartwool and the MH in size large and the fingers are a bit short still.

I will be using them with cabelas expedition weight gloves so that i can take the large gloves off to do stuff and still have something on, I walk to school and around town all winter in temps between 20 and -20 F and it is blizzarding 20 to 30% of the time.

what is your experence with the above mentioned brands?
also, i am planning on buying from amazon because i have rewards points from my CC to use for this purchase.
Posted by: ajherman

Re: liner gloves - 10/14/08 02:07 PM

anyone have other suggestions?
Posted by: 4x4Dragon

Re: liner gloves - 10/14/08 07:42 PM

just so you're not left hanging, i'll give my input.

i've switched back to just good 'ol Polypropylene(wigwam) liners. had the Mountain Hardwear ones but they just didn't seem to dry very quickly.
Posted by: Paul

Re: liner gloves - 10/14/08 08:49 PM

Well, I'm not out in the conditions you are, but here's what I like - Powerstretch liners. They aren't the thinnest, but ounce for ounce I find them the warmest. I usethem as my base layer for, along with knit mittens and mitten shells for colder temps, and alone for summer high country mornings. I've tried thinner liners, looking to save that last half ounce, but I mostly find that the thinner ones do not weigh much less. I had some polypro liners that were an ounce instead of an ounce and a half(which is what my powerstretch liners weigh) bu they wer much thinner, not nearly as warm. Dexterity-wise, I find I can do nearly anything I need to with the powerstretch liners on, as they fit fairly snugly. Just don't get any that have any kind of reinforced palm, like leather or fabric, as that will be the part that takes forever to dry, while the powerstretch fabric itself dries pretty quick. I had some from Campmor that I lked, but lost one of them, and now they don't seem to have them anymore. But i just got some newones - Mountain Hardwear, on sale at various places right now - they seem like they'll be just as good. I also got some Outdoor Research PL Base liners (like I say, I'm always looking for a btter liner) which weigh about the same but are thinner if you need even more dexterity or to fit better inside your outer gloves/mitts. Those were also on sale - Sierra Trading Post, I think.
Posted by: alanwenker

Re: liner gloves - 10/14/08 09:09 PM

I've gone to buying the cheapest poly pro liner gloves I can find as I tend to trash a pair (holes in the finger tips) in short order.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: liner gloves - 10/15/08 06:43 AM

I use mechanics gloves as inserts. The fit perfect, and allow you to actually use your hands with the gloves on. Plus they are cheap and last longer. They aren't as insulating as fluffier glove liners, so it depends on how cold and the insulation in your overmitts. I have done this for snow boarding. I suck so much at boarding that I tend to get really hot trying not to fall, so despite the fact that I am up a cold mountain, I am really warm anyways.