Which tent should I get?

Posted by: kawasa

Which tent should I get? - 09/16/08 01:07 PM

The ALPS Mountaineering Comet 2.0

or the Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2.0?

I know some of you may think the ALPS Mountaineering stuff isn't very good but I've been reading a lot of good reports from people who've bought them. Plus I'm pretty broke...

I was looking more seriously at the Zephyr seeing as it's freestanding.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Which tent should I get? - 09/16/08 02:05 PM

Carrying extra weight gets old…. fast. If money is an object, consider Eureka Spitfire at $80 http://www.campinggeardepot.com/store-products-0838-2628315-4-Eureka-Spitfire-Tent_40418846.html

To reduce weight further, check out these articles: http://www.backpacking.net/tips.html
http://www.backpacking.net/interview1.html

-Barry

Re: Which tent should I get? - 09/16/08 02:54 PM

Wow, that's quite the difference in weight! I was hoping to find a light one made for two people. It says available in two person model, which is what I need, is that listed with the tent listings or is it something you check mark when you're checking out?

Thanks for the help!

Oh, also is that tent good for keeping out the rain/condensation?
Posted by: TomD

Re: Which tent should I get? - 09/16/08 05:49 PM

Here is Eureka's website
Eureka

The bigger version of the Spitfire weighs over 4 lbs.

Re: Which tent should I get? - 09/17/08 02:55 PM

How about a decent sleeping bag? and a decent pack while we're at it haha

I was looking at packs and i wish I could afford the Osprey Atomos 65 but it's way too much. I was more seriously looking into two Jansport models: the Big Bear 63 and the Klamath 85. Any advice on the pack or sleeping bag would be great as I need to start purchasing these things very soon.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Which tent should I get? - 09/17/08 06:00 PM

Get all your other gear together before you start shopping for a pack. You want to buy the pack to fit your gear, not the other way around.

If you're on a budget, there are a number of threads here on low-budget alternatives for light-weight gear. There is a recent one in the Beginners section. When you search, be sure to change the parameters from the 1-week default to 1 or 2 years.

If you're not on a budget, for a sleeping bag go for Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Nunatak--a bag from any of these, properly cared for, will last a lifetime. If those are too pricey, get a cheaper models (like the Campmor 20* down bag) and start saving your pennies. The lower-quality down bag won't last as long.

A couple of suggestions: First, read the articles on the home page of this website. Lots of good info there on gear selection. Second, go here.. There are lots of links to low-budget (and not-so-low-budget) lightweight gear recommendations, gear lists, etc.

Remember that price is not the sole consideration. Shoddy gear that falls apart in its first or second season (or worse yet, in the middle of a severe storm) or heavyweight gear that you want to replace with something lighter after your first trip or two is not going to save you any money! Consider looking for used gear. There are always people who want the latest and lightest innovation and are selling their older (but still lightweight and high quality) gear.
Posted by: chaz

Re: Which tent should I get? - 09/18/08 07:17 AM

Barry, Good find on the spitfire. If I were to use a tent, that would be the one. but if you have something to hang a hammock on, thats my choice. I never seem to find a level place to pitch a tent and its annoying to keep sliding during the night. I havent used my tent in over 2 years now.