Hydration Bladder in Regular old Backpack

Posted by: 2brnot2b

Hydration Bladder in Regular old Backpack - 09/08/08 05:19 PM

For dayhikes I have a regular North Face backpack with two side mesh pockets, one large rear pocket made of a web of elastic cords, but NO internal bladder pocket.

Can I use a 2L hydration bladder and hose setup with a regular backpack?
If it is upside-down in my pack, won't the cap and hose get squished?
How do you clip the tube to your straps-- does a clip come with the unit?

Thanks!!!
Posted by: deliriousNomad

Re: Hydration Bladder in Regular old Backpack - 09/08/08 06:25 PM

I used to use a 2L Camelback inside the pack. I just let it sit against my back inside the pack. I actually cut an eye-shaped hole in the pack to put the hose through - but you should be able to let the hose come out of the zipper.
You can buy hose clips for pretty cheap that clip on your shoulder straps and hold the hose for you.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Hydration Bladder in Regular old Backpack - 09/09/08 09:03 AM

That all sounds reasonable. For anchoring the hose to the shoulder strap, a piece of 1/8-inch bungee or even a fat rubber band will also do the job.

The "trick," if there is one, is to not pack the pack too tightly so you don't put excess pressure on the reservoir (which can force water out through the cap, into the pack). If it's warm, wrap it in clothing to keep the water cool. If you're paranoid about leakage, packing it inside a stout plastic bag can catch the drips.

Quote:
I used to use a 2L Camelback inside the pack. I just let it sit against my back inside the pack. I actually cut an eye-shaped hole in the pack to put the hose through - but you should be able to let the hose come out of the zipper.
You can buy hose clips for pretty cheap that clip on your shoulder straps and hold the hose for you.
Posted by: earlylite

Re: Hydration Bladder in Regular old Backpack - 09/20/08 08:48 AM

I never use a hydration pocket on backpacking trips because it's impossible to get your hydration bladder out of the pocket once your gear is packed. Instead, I prop it up on top of all of my other gear (wrapped in a backpack waterproof liner), next to my food bag to balance the weight on my shoulders. When I need to refill with water, it's easy to get out because it's on top.

As for squashing the hose and stuff. It's never been a problem. You just need to make sure that you don't kink the hose. I still run it out the pack's hydration port.
Posted by: chaz

Re: Hydration Bladder in Regular old Backpack - 09/20/08 11:30 AM

The only difference in a pack with a hydration pocket or one without is just that. You can put it anywhere you like. But if you pack stuff against it and put pressure on it you can use it to squirt you hiking buddy.