Where to obtain eVENT fabric

Posted by: rockymtnhiker

Where to obtain eVENT fabric - 03/03/08 02:32 PM

Anybody know where to obtain eVENT for DIY projects?
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Where to obtain eVENT fabric - 03/03/08 02:55 PM

I'd be curious myself. I wanted to make a drysuit out of the stuff after I tried one made from eVent at a paddling store. A lot of these proprietary fabrics are licensed only to manufactures by the mill.
Posted by: gardenville

Re: Where to obtain eVENT fabric - 03/03/08 05:01 PM

The very short answer is - that you can't.

GE, I think, the ones who make? and sell Event are very selective with who (Big name or very well established companies only need apply) they will sell Event to.

I will not buy anything made of Event for that reason.

As a side note it is not fire proof and isn't used by US tent makers anymore.

Event pricing is outragous. The wholesale price of Event was between $16 and $20 a yard last time I checked and the companies that use it want you to think it cost a whole lot more so they can hike up the price of products made with it.

Re: Where to obtain eVENT fabric - 03/03/08 07:33 PM

I believe that it isn't used in tents anymore "because it is something a person could reasonably cook in". I had thought you could get it from outdoor wilderness fabrics, but I was wrong. Looks like that eVENT tent project is dead.
Posted by: trailblazer

Re: Where to obtain eVENT fabric - 03/06/08 10:18 AM

You can try and check with Feathered Friends. In the past they have retailed specialty fabric to DIYers. Not sure if they would be willing to part with their eVent (and they may legally be bound not to for all I know), but its worth a shot. I'd love to know what their response is...oh, and be prepared to pay an arm and a leg...
Posted by: BrianKelly

Re: Where to obtain eVENT fabric - 03/06/08 12:20 PM

Quote:

As a side note it is not fire proof and isn't used by US tent makers anymore.

From what I remember GE forbid its use in tents, whether sold in the US or not.

I wonder how they differentiate between a bivy (ex. Big Agnes 3 Wire) and a tent (such as the discontinued Sarvis series from Big Agnes)?
Posted by: Franco

Re: Where to obtain eVENT fabric - 03/19/08 03:00 PM

GE have imposed a max height of 70cm on a shelter made with eVent.
The idea is that most would not attempt to cook under that. My impression is that it would discourage all but hard-core (experienced) hiker/climbers from buying it.
Hence the official height of the Rab Summit Extreme is 70cm (about 86cm in reality)
One full sized 2 person tent made with eVent that is still available is the Exped Polaris. Officially the fabric is called something else, but it is eVent.
Franco

Re: Where to obtain eVENT fabric - 03/20/08 09:50 PM

Feathered friends said no.