Carrying My Dog LOL

Posted by: Hey

Carrying My Dog LOL - 07/07/21 09:20 PM

I have a dog. She is my first little dog! She is 13 lbs! I would like to take her on an overnight hike. I will be using a small backpack. I pack lite. However, I would like to add something to my backpack to carry her. So I am asking and looking around. If you have something you rigged up or something you bought that you were able to add to your pack, please share! Thank You!

Some added info...
I would like her to sit on top of my backpack.

She is our little adventure dog. She sees us packing up the truck or the travel trailer ( I have a homemade tiny travel trailer), she gets very excited! She is very familiar with hiking. The whole time we are camping, she is just begging to hike! She is a very active pup! She keeps us active! LOL! When we go to our little property...she is everywhere! I do need to get her on the kayak. She hasn't been on the kayak just yet. She has a life vest for when we go to the river and lake. She even has a basket on my bike. She definitely knows a bit about adventure!
I haven't gotten her on a long overnight thru hike. I'm lookin!
Posted by: tramp

Re: Carrying My Dog LOL - 07/08/21 08:56 AM

Photos please.
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Carrying My Dog LOL - 07/08/21 05:27 PM

When our Cairn Terrier became more elderly I did have carry him while backpacking over portions of the day. He just didn’t want to stay home. I don’t think the top of the pack is a suitable place but some might make it work. I put him in a small Eagle Creek duffle with a piece of closed cell foam in the bottom that was curved on my body side to fit and two shoulder straps worn sort of backpack style in front, bag to my stomach. He loved it. I’d let him walk when he wanted but would put him in the bag when he needed that. We could communicate with looks and gestures so he could tell me.

In the end it depends on what you like and just how much you are willing to put up with. We enjoyed his company over the 17 years with him and depended on his hearing and olfactory skills that were far beyond our own.

Re: Carrying My Dog LOL - 07/08/21 09:07 PM

Photos of the dog or the backpack type i have in mind?

Re: Carrying My Dog LOL - 07/08/21 09:10 PM

Awesome!
Our pup was a stray. Tossed out of a car and left behind in my daughters friends yard. We dont know if she is a toxern or a cairn terrier, Smart as whip! And VERY adventurous little dog! Tons of energy! Ill share some pics.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Carrying My Dog LOL - 07/09/21 10:14 AM

I would think a cat/small dog travel duffel bag lashed to the top of your pack would work out.

something like this: https://www.chewy.com/outward-hound-travel-airline-approved/dp/217290

You would want to make sure it is securely attached. The arrangement would make the pack pretty tippy. I wouldn't put anything in the top lid so you can keep the dog as low as possible. I also learned from putting my kids in hiking backpacks to always pick-up by the top middle loop on the pack (not shoulder straps).
Posted by: nwguy

Re: Carrying My Dog LOL - 07/16/21 12:55 PM

13lbs is going to be VERY heavy after a few miles
Posted by: aimless

Re: Carrying My Dog LOL - 08/13/21 07:48 PM

I wonder how this worked out for him?

Re: Carrying My Dog LOL - 08/29/21 11:52 AM

Good Morning!!!
In 2 weeks I will be heading out to the cabin.I bought a backpack that my dog fits perfectly in! I can also still fit my stuff into as well. I will be testing it out. I taught her to "Load Up". She gets right in. It is airplane approved. So if all works well during the plane/hike test, she may be able to go on a short 2 or 3 day hike. She loves hiking! I hate leaving her behind. This will also be her first time up on the mountain with us now that we have a backpack/carrier that is airline approved. I am very excited about this!

This what we got her...Spoiled Mutt!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Waterproof-Ventilation-Features-Lightweight/dp/B08HQXJYFX/ref=sr_1_5?crid=VYUCKXA0G7WR&dchild=1&keywords=lanperle+pet+carrier&qid=1630252267&sprefix=lanperle+%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-5

Re: Carrying My Dog LOL - 09/14/21 11:32 AM

After training our pup to load up, it worked out great! She was excited to get in and go! Passed the Airline requirements! We didn't get to use it for hiking. Where ever we went she walked. She wasn't too heavy. The straps sat on my shoulders comfortably. She's my spoiled mutt! Ill be taking her on more extended adventures soon!