ideas for a dry bag for a small travel guitar

Posted by: MountainMinstrel

ideas for a dry bag for a small travel guitar - 03/25/19 04:14 PM

Hi all. I'm going to be doing the JMT this year and bought a Washburn Rover to take with me. I would like to make a drybag with a bit of padding in the bottom (thinking blue foam pad) to protect the guitar in case of deep water crossings or the possibility of falling into the water. However, I don't know where to start. any thoughts?
Posted by: BZH

Re: ideas for a dry bag for a small travel guitar - 03/25/19 04:38 PM

Maybe a DIY Cuben stuff sack. I've never purchased/assembled one of these kits, but a quick search turned up this:

https://yamamountaingear.com/products/dyneema-stuff-sack-kit
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: ideas for a dry bag for a small travel guitar - 03/26/19 05:14 AM

If you sew, you could design and make one (400d pack cloth would probably be my choice), but you'd have to use either a waterproof zipper or make a dry bag style closure at the large end. And spend plenty of time sealing all the seams.

I once made a guitar case cover out of coated Cordura, and it took some time, but wasn't awfully difficult. I had a Gibson Super 400 at the time, but didn't have the leatherette cover that went over the case. I didn't try to waterproof it, though.

Another possibility is to find a smallish cloth bag, maybe for a solid body guitar, add some padding, and use a large plastic bag for waterproofing.

These guys say, "We will make dry bags for just about anything."

https://www.jpwinc.com

And there may be others. I imagine having one made might be expensive, but I'm not sure.
Posted by: MountainMinstrel

Re: ideas for a dry bag for a small travel guitar - 03/26/19 08:56 PM

I think that the Dyneema dry sack with a strip of the blue closed cell foam for structure and protection of the bottom end of the guitar will be what I end up with.

Thanks for your thoughts. It was kind of what I was thinking from the start but I guess I needed some reassurance.