Bamboo Spoon

Posted by: 4evrplan

Bamboo Spoon - 03/09/19 11:48 AM

Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Bamboo Spoon - 03/09/19 02:47 PM

Ok---but it doesn't look very spoony. Hard to eat soup with that...

Re: Bamboo Spoon - 03/09/19 03:00 PM

True; it's not gonna work with really runny stuff like a thin broth. If I had a bigger/thicker piece of bamboo i could carve an actual spoon shape, but I'm not sure it's really worth it to me.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Bamboo Spoon - 03/10/19 11:31 AM

Works of art are not necessarily highly functional. It looks awesome.

Re: Bamboo Spoon - 03/10/19 01:07 PM

Thanks CM! I did make this to use it though. I'll just have to drink whatever liquid is left behind out of my freezer bag meals. I'm okay with that.

Re: Bamboo Spoon - 03/10/19 02:46 PM

That means it works for YOUR proposes, which is what counts, right. That makes it functional art, which is a beautiful thing!
Posted by: Franco

Re: Bamboo Spoon - 03/10/19 10:13 PM

I had a look around for sometime for a wooden spoon with a long handle.
I like the feel of them but I could only find them up to 5" or so.
So , back to the long Ti. If nothing else it does not add any flavour to the food.
On one trip I did carve a spoon out of a stick because after re-arranging my storage shelves I forgot to pack one.
It was OK....

Re: Bamboo Spoon - 03/10/19 10:29 PM

It is great to have a backup plan. Yup, make some sort of chopsticks, a spoon, whatever, to get the job done.Do a search for plastic spoon from water bottle for another take. During a drought year, My hiking partner and I decided we needed more water carrying capacity for a hot, dry stretch. We lucked out and found a couple of discarded soda bottles very close to a park restroom. With some hot water and soap, we had clean containers. Hubby and I decided his sleeping bag was not going to cut it as we flew over Yellowstone and bought an extra blanket. Many small towns have a thrift shop/secondhand store/"dollar store." I've picked up synthetic blankets to make ponchos, bought cheap hats and gloves,whatever, to let a trip continue when the weather turned nastier than expected. Keep and open mind as well as both eyes...
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Bamboo Spoon - 03/11/19 01:43 AM

Very nice!
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Bamboo Spoon - 03/11/19 09:53 AM

True enough. I think everything I wear on the trail was purchased at a thrift store or at a discount outlet except my hat. That one came from an open air market in Argentina...