Backpack Aluminum Stays

Posted by: inchworm

Backpack Aluminum Stays - 07/01/16 02:21 PM

I have a Gregory Z Pack Backpack but the stays in the back are missing. Does anyone have a pattern that they would share for making these? I have contacted Gregory BUT --- they are very slow in responding to customer requests. Can anyone help me out here?
Posted by: inchworm

Re: Backpack Aluminum Stays - 07/01/16 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By inchworm
I have a Gregory Z Pack Backpack but the stays in the back are missing. Does anyone have a pattern that they would share for making these? I have contacted Gregory BUT --- they are very slow in responding to customer requests. Can anyone help me out here?

Well I finally spoke with a Gregory Rep this afternoon and found that the Z Series Backpack does not use aluminum back stays but rather a wire U-shaped frame with an X reinforcement. They are supposedly checking for one of these and stated they would mail me a picture of the back stay. If I can get the picture I believe that I can fabricate one. Does anyone know what this wire frame looks like? Just a drawing with dimensions or a picture will work. Let me know.
Posted by: EMT Dave

Re: Backpack Aluminum Stays - 11/24/16 05:26 PM

I had a similar issue with a Tough Traveler Expedition/Mt.Santononi pack years ago. I scored some stainless rod of 5/16" diameter and bent it to shape over my anvil with a medium hammer.
The frame was never too successful as I could not optimize the bends. The length too was difficult and I ended by grinding down the ends to fit.
The pack never rode right.
Eventually I got the firm to make me a new frame and the pack became functional. It was an early internal however and the suspension left a lot to be desired. By today's standard the hip-belt is downright primitive.
I suppose I could improve it with webbing and pads, but given my wealth of newer packs, I just do not do it. I use it now for gear storage.
Maybe I should make a red cover and convert it to my personal jump (i.e. major first aid) kit. Sentimentality makes me keep it.