New Backpack Design

Posted by: PaHiker

New Backpack Design - 02/12/16 06:45 PM

I finished my new backpack, sewing is a lot simpler than the G4 I made last time. Basically taking the sides straight up and making the pack shorter to keep the cu.ft. the same. Made other modifications to the pack as well. Images are below. If there is interest in a write-up it would take some time, don't want to get into it if there isn't.

Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: New Backpack Design - 02/12/16 06:54 PM

Sweet! When is its maiden voyage?

Re: New Backpack Design - 02/12/16 06:59 PM

Well, depends on what you mean. I've already had it out on a day hike, overnight is going to have to wait for warmer weather. This is the Honey Dew time.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: New Backpack Design - 02/12/16 08:56 PM

Looks good! I like the wide, comfortable looking shoulder straps, or at least they appear that way to my easily deceived eyes. Be great to hear how it functions on the trail. Between you and 4ever, it's making me think about having the wife break out the sewing machine. No, that's not a sexist remark, she's excellent with it; I'm a dummy that's never learned its operation, but loves design. A quilt first, though.

Re: New Backpack Design - 02/13/16 12:26 PM

I will be posting more details about the pack this weekend. The straps are a little wider because I opted to make the padding permanent, so I did not have to plan for the velcro. I did this because when I used the G4 pack I could not get enough socks into the straps to make much of a difference, and without something in there a 4-day pack was too heavy to go without padding.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: New Backpack Design - 02/13/16 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By PaHiker
I will be posting more details about the pack this weekend. The straps are a little wider because I opted to make the padding permanent, so I did not have to plan for the velcro. I did this because when I used the G4 pack I could not get enough socks into the straps to make much of a difference, and without something in there a 4-day pack was too heavy to go without padding.

Makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

Re: New Backpack Design - 02/13/16 06:57 PM

I try to make sense...sometimes I even succeed, much to my surprise. grin wink

Re: New Backpack Design - 02/13/16 10:52 PM

As promised, a little more detail.

Dimensions - Total Volume - 6630 cu in - 107 liters

Pack:
30” H x 14” W x 7-1/2” D
76 cm H x 35.5 cm W x 19 cm D
3150 cu in / 51,3 liters

Front Pouch:
30” H x 14” W x 4” D
76 cm H x 35.5 cm W x 10 cm D
1680 cu in / 27 liters

Side Pouch (each):
30” H x 7-1/5” W x 4” D
76 cm H x 19 cm W x 10 cm D
900 cu in / 14.4 liters

Weight:
Pack: 14.5 oz / 420 g
Belt: 7 oz / 200g (with foam padding)
2 oz / 50 g (without padding)

The top of the backpack is closed with velcro, and can be cinched down with the two attached straps to compress the pack.

The belt is removable so you can go without a belt, or slide in a different style belt. For example, I will sometimes use a WWII style pistol belt, that allows easy connection of various pouches for accessories.

The shoulder straps, since the foam padding is sewn into place, is a full 3" wide and 1/2" thick. I used a high density foam because it offers good padding for its thickness with little compression under load. Also, I included three stretchable straps on it to make it easier to get a drinking tube out. Also, I plan on being able to clip things onto the straps (I grew up with an exterior frame pack, so I like attaching things on the outside for ready access) such as a compass or GPS.

The outside pouches are large...very large. Actually, the side pouches turned out too large, if I were to make it again I would cut the depth down by half. The reason behind the size is to be able to carry wet items for drying and easy access; in the winter to hold the outer fly of my Alpha CD tent.

Finally, the front and side pouches have cinch cords for securing what is inside the pouches, and for compressing the pack for a more secure carry.

Any questions, ask away. Should I do a full write up?

PS. I also added a sternum strap to the shoulder straps.