creating fill marks on titanium cookware

Posted by: the-gr8t-waldo

creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/18/15 05:19 PM

last outing, it's become apparent that I should no longer , just go by eye when it comes to back country cooking. anyway, I want to make two indentations to mark the one and two fluid cup levels in my snow peak cook/mug. In my online searches I have stumbled onto a few mentions about this process, using a small section of #12-10 copper wire(the die?) Along with a bench vise. to create the mark. but other than that- no practicable mention on how it's done. does anyone know of a Instructable or some other diy site that can walk me thru the process? I have never worked titanium and would hate to ruin an expensive piece of gear, the first time out the gate.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/19/15 08:32 AM

You can use an automatic center punch to simply make a dimple at the level you want. Less than a second.
If you want bigger marks, you can scribe them in with a metal scribe...mine is carbide tipped and will etch glass. A tool steel (like a drill bit) will etch titanium.
I'd go with the center punch method. You can make a dotted line if one dimple isn't enough.
Titanium can be hard stuff and trying to form it with a home-made tool and die process can be tricky and ruin your pot.
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/20/15 05:49 AM

add permanent volume markings to a kettle

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/20/15 11:42 AM

I have seen electrically etching of aluminum. It seems like the most benign way of adding marks. But I have doubt's about it's effecivness on titanium. If this method could be effectively used for my pot,I would love to use it over a hammer and die. I'm most worried about introducing stress cracks. I would do a test, if I were lucky enough to have a scrap piece I could test without risk to a finished product.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/22/15 01:33 PM

I'd use an indelible Sharpie on the outside. It will be close enough and last a good amount of time.

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/25/15 08:26 PM

Yesterday I tried electrical etching using the method described in Perry's post ,have to say, I was underwhelmed! It left the surface slightly brownish, this on the botton of my pot. Advanced on to the internal marking. What I got was almost, unseeable markings inside.(this under fairly good lighting conditions) For the record, I also tryed this on some scrap al. I had in the scrap bin. No visible marks were produced at all. I did some researching on the back backing lite site. And found an enlarged explanation of the copper faced stamping process. Made a trip out to the cheapest tool dealer in town and have embarked on this since it was my org. preferred method. This'll take a few weeks, since I also have a few irons going right now. Good or bad, I promise a report when done.
Posted by: Slowfoot

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/27/15 09:16 PM

I scratched marks on my spoon instead of the pot and put the spoon in the pot to measure. It works pretty well since I don't need exact measurements.

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 08/04/15 11:08 AM

Well, I hadn't considered marking other than on the pot....thank you Slowfoot for the "wake up". Currently I'm unable to get back to this project, other than Until late fall/early spring. Will, most likely mark my spoon for the time being and see how that works out. Thanks to all who responded.
Posted by: Alf

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 05/15/18 06:57 AM

Originally Posted By the-gr8t-waldo
last outing, it's become apparent that I should no longer , just go by eye when it comes to back country cooking. anyway, I want to make two indentations to mark the one and two fluid cup levels in my snow peak cook/mug. In my online searches I have stumbled onto a few mentions about this process, using a small section of #12-10 copper wire(the die?) Along with a bench vise. to create the mark. but other than that- no practicable mention on how it's done. does anyone know of a Instructable or some other diy site that can walk me thru the process? I have never worked titanium and would hate to ruin an expensive piece of gear, the first time out the gate.

Both of my ultralight Titanium mugs/pots (the Finess City 450mm mug/pot and the Tomshoo 750ml mug/pot with folding handles and folding hanging loop (for hanging over an open fire), both have fill markings stamped into them. The Finess City has more markings than the Tomshoo and that is why I bought it...It was a bit more expensive than the similar sized Ti mugs/pots without fill markings though, but as you have discovered, I find having fill markings makes cooking outdoors a whole lot easier so I was willing to pay a little extra for it. It nests inside the Tomshoo perfectly, and both come with lids...Essential to keep flies and/or falling leaves out of your hot water or food.
I would be extremely wary about trying to stamp markings into your Ti pot/s, especially with Steel tools as they might contain Cadmium...If you scratch Titanium with anything containing Cadmium it can cause a self propagating crack to form in the Titanium...That is why all the tools used for working on the Lockheed SR71 Blackbird spy plane, which is mostly made from Titanium, had to be specially made to ensure they were 100% Cadmium free. It is also why I never store Steel gas canisters inside my larger Ti pots without putting them in a polythene bag first. (top tip!)
So best solution would be to simply buy new pots that already have the fill markings on them.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 06/09/18 04:07 PM

These are interesting comments and make me leery of trying to mark my Ti pots. I MIGHT try marking my spoon (or something) so when i stick it into the pot and put in water, the mark corresponds to 1 cup, etc. It also means a specific spoon is dedicated to the levels for a specific pot.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 06/09/18 04:34 PM

I've been eyeballing for years, both at home and on the trail, and have survived. Some of my backpacking dinners have been a little soupy, but no big deal. IMHO, the one place you do need accurate measurements is for baking.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 06/09/18 05:36 PM

I took an old small (1L?) platy, cut it down, and marked the bottom with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1 1/4, 1 1/2 cup marks with a Sharpie, then put tape over the marks to ensure they didn't wash away. It's a standard part of my cook kit, a 'measuring cup' that weighs next to nothing. Quite handy.