Grand Trunk hybrid shelter clone

Posted by: Gnomecatcher

Grand Trunk hybrid shelter clone - 09/20/13 04:44 PM

I'm a bit new to backpacking, but I've been looking around at gear and I see that lightweight backpacking these days is a pretty big deal. I've got recurring back problems, so I want to lighten my load as much as possible.

I'm really interested in the Grand Trunk hybrid hammock/shelter, but I don't like the price tag so much. Why pay 80 bucks for a sheet of waterproof nylon when I have years of sewing experience? It looks pretty easy to make, I just don't know what kind of material I should make it from. Is it okay to make a waterproof hammock out of coated nylon, or does the hammock have to breath for some reason? What is the right weight of fabric that I should use so that it's strong enough to hold me? I'm 5'6", 170 lbs.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Grand Trunk hybrid shelter clone - 09/21/13 08:53 AM

Think of lying on top of a sheet of plastic that wraps up the sides of your body. That is how a waterproof nylon hammock is likely to feel. You can get more advice than you can absorb if you read up on information at hammockforums.net.
I have a homemade hammock, but keep going back to my Hennessy Hammock. They usually have a “scratch-and-dent-sale” around October, a new hammock sale for Christmas, and used hammocks pop up from time-to-time. (www.Hennessyhamock.com)
Posted by: Spock

Re: Grand Trunk hybrid shelter clone - 01/09/14 11:43 AM

Campermom is right about sleeping in a waterproof hammock. There are other concerns.

First, it is designed to be a lot of things. But it cannot do all of them well. After a few nights as a hammock it will be pulled out of plane and will not set up adequately as a shelter. It has no bug net. When used as a hammock it has no rain, dew, frost protection.

Second, you say you are new to backpacking. There is a learning curve. It is safer and more enjoyable if you start with less challenging gear. It you are sure you want to hammock, prudence would advise you to get a turn-key design. There are many. Hennessey is a good idea if you can pick one up at REIs outlet as Campermom said. Hammock Forums has lots of info.
Posted by: lori

Re: Grand Trunk hybrid shelter clone - 01/09/14 01:47 PM

Yes, you want it to breath. Imagine sleeping in foil.

There is a technique to making a hammock. Regular gathered end hammocks are difficult for the novice to hang properly to get a flat lay. Recommend buying a style that jas a ridgeline, is shaped to make it easy to lay on a diagonal, and has some strap/whoopie sling suspension. Nuances matter.