DIY Tarp (for shelter)

Posted by: Mama Rachael

DIY Tarp (for shelter) - 09/17/13 10:00 PM

I'm exploring ideas for making a tarp as a lightweight shelter. I'm thinking a simple rectangle.

Most of the projects I've seen so far use webbing or grosgrain ribbon to create tie outs. One project I've seen uses grommets.

We've considered the differences. If we want to put the tarp flush with the ground, grommets work better. Grommets provide more flexibility to what you attach the tarp to, i.e. you don't always need stakes. (though its easy to attach a loop through the grommet so you can use stakes)

If I want a tie out along the center ridge line, I need a webbing/ribbon loop. loops are, perhaps easier to use.

Are there other pro/cons to grommets or tie outs? What is your inclination?

Thanks!
Posted by: lori

Re: DIY Tarp (for shelter) - 09/17/13 10:08 PM

Grommets tear out of the fabric easily.

I have a tarp with grosgrain loops and another with grosgrain/D ring tie outs.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: DIY Tarp (for shelter) - 09/18/13 01:01 AM

I agree. I've even used grommets in webbing, and they still pull out.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: DIY Tarp (for shelter) - 09/18/13 10:20 AM

My preference is grosgrain tieouts. They don't tear the fabric as easily. You can design them to be flush when pitched. They are probably lighter as well.
Posted by: Mama Rachael

Re: DIY Tarp (for shelter) - 09/20/13 03:34 PM

I'm going with ribbon for the tie outs. I've sewn up one hem, and the sil-nylon isn't nearly as hard to work with as I thought it would be.

thanks for the thoughts and help.
R
Posted by: Samoset

Re: DIY Tarp (for shelter) - 02/09/14 09:23 PM

the only reason i ever ue grommits while making cheap tarp shelters is because i cnan get away with out sewing anything , and just use the gromit kit, but they eventually pul out atleast one some day some where
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: DIY Tarp (for shelter) - 02/10/14 08:26 AM

I've used grommets with no problem but you have to reinforce the material where you install them. Same with nylon webbing loops.
Posted by: rsideco

Re: DIY Tarp (for shelter) - 02/26/14 02:20 PM

Here is a very cheap and simple way to make a tarp. I carry a dark green one myself. Instead of poking holes in it I simply made tie out loops out of duct tape. Total costs ehhhh 2-ish dollars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRlhTwdpNHg