DIY G4 questions

Posted by: Michaeldoe62

DIY G4 questions - 05/22/13 04:51 PM

This is my first post on the forum so thank you in advance.
I am currently using a kelty coyote that weighs in around 5 lbs. I like making my own gear and the time has come to replace my pack, so I figured I would give the G4 pattern a shot. Ive never made a pack so I am trying to get as much info before I order everything and sit down to start sewing.

the first question would be: does anyone have any experience with this? what are your thoughts, opinions, and tips?

Second question is: I am thinking about making it out of spinnaker material. again what are your thoughts, opinions, and tips?

Thanks!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: DIY G4 questions - 05/22/13 05:29 PM

I'm not a MYOG person (you should see me try to thread a needle!), but I do know that the gear firms who were formerly using spinnaker (Gossamer Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs were the main ones) have discontinued the use of spinnaker because they have not been able to find a source of this fabric that is suitable for shelters and packs. There is also a durability issue with spinnaker; it is quite sensitive to abrasion. I have a spinnaker tent and its stuff sack, also spinnaker, is worn out after 3 years. I'm replacing it with a silnylon stuff sack. I note that those "cottage" gear makers using cuben fiber (also sensitive to abrasion) for their packs are switching to a hybrid fabric of cuben and nylon or polyester, for the same reason.

I do know that Thru-Hiker is an excellent source of fabric, kits, supplies and DIY articles. There are also great resources on the home page of this site.
Posted by: Pika

Re: DIY G4 questions - 05/22/13 07:27 PM

I've made several G-4 packs and packs derived from the G-4 model. If you work with the plans provided by Quest Outfitters and use the material they recommend you should have no problems making one assuming you have some basic sewing skills. Personally, I would recommend that you go with the sewn in padding for the shoulder straps and hip belt; using dirty socks and dirty underwear as padding lacks elegance at best. There are a few places where you want to proceed carefully. It is easy to make the pack with the sewn in tie loops inside the mesh pockets if you aren't paying attention. PM me if you have more specific questions. BTW, I don't like the bulge on the pack bottom and have revised the design so the pack is straight up and down and will handle a large bear can horizontally. I would not be inclined to use either spinnaker fabric or cubin fiber for a pack but obviously the folks at Zpacks don't agree.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: DIY G4 questions - 05/22/13 07:49 PM

ZPacks has pretty much moved to that hybrid cuben fabric I mentioned for their packs.
Posted by: Michaeldoe62

Re: DIY G4 questions - 05/22/13 10:35 PM

thanks everyone for the quick responses. I was excited to try the spinnaker but dont want to waste the time if its going to break down pretty fast.
Originally Posted By Pika
I've made several G-4 packs and packs derived from the G-4 model. If you work with the plans provided by Quest Outfitters and use the material they recommend you should have no problems making one assuming you have some basic sewing skills. Personally, I would recommend that you go with the sewn in padding for the shoulder straps and hip belt; using dirty socks and dirty underwear as padding lacks elegance at best. There are a few places where you want to proceed carefully. It is easy to make the pack with the sewn in tie loops inside the mesh pockets if you aren't paying attention. PM me if you have more specific questions. BTW, I don't like the bulge on the pack bottom and have revised the design so the pack is straight up and down and will handle a large bear can horizontally. I would not be inclined to use either spinnaker fabric or cubin fiber for a pack but obviously the folks at Zpacks don't agree.

I'll be getting ahold of you for sure when the time comes to make the pack. thanks again!