lighweight backpack construction problem

Posted by: rowdybob

lighweight backpack construction problem - 05/13/12 10:25 PM

I am trying to make the lighweight backpack and I'm stuck. The depth of the back bottom is deeper than the sides are wide. What am I missing? This is the one place where their are no pictures and I'm really confused on the final assembly. Any info would be appreciated.
Posted by: Billc3

Re: lighweight backpack construction problem - 05/15/12 08:55 AM

Are you making a kit or working off of plans? We need more info please.

Bill

Re: lighweight backpack construction problem - 05/16/12 12:41 AM

I'm making it from plans on the the backpacking.net website, the ultrslight pack, g4 by gvp gear is the title on top of the plans. An additional question: after the front, sides, and back are sewn together hoe do you get the waist-belt and shoulder strap bottoms out? Thanks
Posted by: MrPop

Re: lighweight backpack construction problem - 05/21/12 08:17 PM

Are you using just a normal household sewing machine for this? Never thought of making my own backpack.
Posted by: Pika

Re: lighweight backpack construction problem - 05/21/12 09:30 PM

I have made several of the G-4 packs, one of them modified as well as a much modified 2600 cu. in. RayWay pack, and had relatively little trouble with any of them. I used an inexpensive Singer sewing machine with the zig-zag option to sew them; it worked just fine. You definitely need the zig-zag stitch for the bar tacks. I have read both of your posts and still don't understand the problem you seem to be having. I'm sure I can help if I can figure out your difficulty. What about photos? PM me if I can be of assistance.
Posted by: dkramalc

Re: lighweight backpack construction problem - 05/22/12 12:09 PM

Looking at the plans, I think he's talking about how the bottom part of the pack is wider than the upper part. Instructions (step 7) refer to an "angle point" but there isn't a picture to visualize this.

Is this what you are confused about, rowdybob?

Re: lighweight backpack construction problem - 05/23/12 07:46 PM

Never mind guys, I figured it out. Just FYI I sewed the whole thing by hand, with upholstery thread doubled and backstitched. Very strong. I made it out of durable fabric whuch is a lot heavier but that wasn't my concern. Here in Northern Arizona there are many rocks and the occasional cactus, juniper and cypress trees. So far so good on durability.