Repair question: plastic window in rain fly

Posted by: swammie

Repair question: plastic window in rain fly - 04/16/12 11:28 AM

My Alps Mountaineering Taurus tent has a rain fly with a slit-shaped window made from clear vinyl, similar to this model tent . It's seen little use, so the plastic isn't yellowed or aged, but the plastic has cracks. These allow moisture in and drips inside the tent.

I contacted the manufacturer: tent's discontinued, replacement is a reasonable $35, no warranty assistance offered.

Has anyone repaired theirs? The entire fly is in perfect shape except for the vinyl. I suspect if I shell out another $35 it will do the same. I'm thinking about a strong, clear tape I can place along the entire window to reinforce it or prevent further cracks.

Thanks ahead of time.

Doug
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Repair question: plastic window in rain fly - 04/16/12 12:55 PM

You have a couple of options. One is to buy a new PVC panel and simply re-sew in a new panel. Another is to glue a new section on. You can cut out the old panel leaving an edge to glue to. Then buy another PVC sheet and use PVC clear adhesive to bond the two together. Duct tape sticks to PVC pretty good, so you can also do that as well. The lightest option is to buy some ripstop nylon and replace the panel with lighter fabric. PVC is heavy.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Repair question: plastic window in rain fly - 04/16/12 07:48 PM

Our JoAnn Fabric store carries several weights of vinal (used for shower curtains). I bought the lightest weight version to protect mattresses when the little grandkids visit. You will find it on those big rolls back in the home decorating section.
Posted by: swammie

Re: Repair question: plastic window in rain fly - 04/16/12 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
Our JoAnn Fabric store carries several weights of vinal (used for shower curtains). I bought the lightest weight version to protect mattresses when the little grandkids visit. You will find it on those big rolls back in the home decorating section.

Great idea. Probably find a piece for my size project in the scrap heap!