Pinnacle Soloist Post Cozy

Posted by: swammie

Pinnacle Soloist Post Cozy - 03/09/12 06:13 PM

I picked up a reflective windshield shade at the dollar store for $3 and using aluminum tape I made my first pot cozy. I used more tape than required to reinforce all the cut edges as this will be shared with my 14 year old Boy Scout son.

Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Pinnacle Soloist Post Cozy - 03/11/12 01:47 PM

Nicely done!
Posted by: HikerChick

Re: Pinnacle Soloist Post Cozy - 03/11/12 04:07 PM

$3. at the Dollar Store confused Think they over charged you. But it turned out really nice. Hope you get a chance to use it soon and post a review.
Posted by: COHiker

Re: Pinnacle Soloist Post Cozy - 03/17/12 05:45 PM

I've been lurking here for a while, then registered so I could read all the MYOG threads, predominantly this one, because I own the same cookset, and have been tinkering with/pondering on this idea for at least 3 weeks now.
First let me say: Nicely done.
Secondly: It's been a week now, have you been able to put it to use any to see how well it works?

It looks like it would fit between the pot and storage sack for carrying, have you tried that?
Would be nice if it 'disappeared' into the overall package rather than having to roll it up and stash it elsewhere in the pack.

Re: Pinnacle Soloist Post Cozy - 03/17/12 07:37 PM

It works just as expected, I'm happy with the construction and performance. I'm anxious to see how it works after a few more outings.

Yea, slips very well into the original bag, see below. It's a tight fit. Depending on your cozy material thickness, this might not work for you. The window/shade material I used is really glorified aluminum foil and not very thick.

I plan to make another version using old beer-can cozies....those are also available cheap at the $$ store. I like the idea to use them as pot-holders too.

Posted by: Slimms

Re: Pinnacle Soloist Post Cozy - 03/18/12 12:33 PM

I have been planning on making one of these. Does it come with the beer?

Re: Pinnacle Soloist Post Cozy - 03/19/12 10:29 PM

Beer always follows success.

After using only 1/4 of the window shade for cozies, I'm planning to try using the rest under my sleep pad for additional insulation and as a wet-seating-pad on the trail or in camp....get my $3 worth.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Pinnacle Soloist Post Cozy - 03/21/12 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By swammie
....get my $3 worth.

So that's why you are holding up three fingers in your avatar.
Posted by: Wolfman

Re: Pinnacle Soloist Post Cozy - 03/28/12 08:14 AM

I made several sets of pot cozies out of Reflex (Home Depot and the like) everyone always says that it's aluminum but it's not these things are normally Mylar over a plastic base. My point is that hot pans can melt plastic and Mylar.

Mine still works it just has less of the reflective coating on the inside then it did before. I also uses a flexible (plastic) reflective tape from the HVAC department on the first batch. The second set I used a foil (metal) tape but have not had a chance to use those pans yet. I also pack the cozies with the pans, it seems like the best way for my gear.

I have seen several made out of blue pad material, but that seems like a overkill to me, but it probably would retain the heat better. Again just be careful with the hot pots and pans, that stuff melts just as fast.

Wolfman