Making Your Own Lightweight Material from Plastic

Posted by: themadcookieman

Making Your Own Lightweight Material from Plastic - 01/10/12 02:57 AM

You guys need to check this out.
Fusing Plastic to make waterproof material
I want to try this. I wonder if I could make my own stuff sacks with this. Maybe even a full sized light weight tarp. Let me know if anyone tries it.
Another video

DIY Sil Nylon
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Making Your Own Lightweight Material from Plastic - 01/10/12 09:26 AM

I have made my own silnylon. In fact, I used the same fabric that the guy in the video you linked to used. It is a really easy process, and I highly recommend it.

As for fusing plastic bags, just buy a painters drop cloth. It is the same plastic, just in a bigger size for a tarp.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Making Your Own Lightweight Material from Plastic - 01/11/12 09:25 AM

Oven roasting bags make pretty good stuff sacks for soft items. Sharp edges probably would puncture them and they wouldn't function the same as compression sacks, but I have used them with success. Twist the top and fold to make a "goose neck," tie off and you have a waterproof and very light bag.

CM
Posted by: themadcookieman

Re: Making Your Own Lightweight Material from Plastic - 01/11/12 01:22 PM

I'm laughing out loud at myself. I'm not a cook so it took me realize that there must be such a thing as an oven roasting bag. I was thinking, why the heck would someone roast a bag?
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Making Your Own Lightweight Material from Plastic - 01/11/12 06:01 PM

The bag tastes better if you roast it. As opposed to deep frying it, or just baking it.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Making Your Own Lightweight Material from Plastic - 01/11/12 06:53 PM

The proper marinade is critical. I prefer them done medium rare.
Posted by: lori

Re: Making Your Own Lightweight Material from Plastic - 01/11/12 08:45 PM

My question is how you would roast an oven in one.

I love English, it is the most amusing language there is.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Making Your Own Lightweight Material from Plastic - 01/12/12 12:39 PM

Sigh!

Funny, but, for those who are interested-

http://www.reynoldsovenbags.com/

The turkey-sized bags can hold at least some sizes of down sleeping bags.

CM
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Making Your Own Lightweight Material from Plastic - 01/12/12 01:34 PM

Quote:
My question is how you would roast an oven in one.

The large size worked good for my Dutch Oven, but it was still hard to chew when done.

I've made a couple dry bags out of dog food sacks. They make some of them with a fiber reinforced plastic that's strong, durable, and waterproof. I just sew some 1" nylon webbing with a side release buckle on the open end of the bag and fold it closed like a standard dry bag, and I resew the closed end (inside out) with nylon upholstery thread.

And, as I've mentioned before, I replaced the sack on my backpack with feed sacks made of the same stuff.

I think I'm going to play with the heat bonding technique shown in the video to see how it works on visqueen and those feed sacks. I'll probably go get an old iron at a thrift shop. I've seen little travel irons that might work pretty good for that since they have a smaller footprint.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Making Your Own Lightweight Material from Plastic - 01/12/12 06:46 PM

Just a note about silicone coating nylon.
If you watch that video you will note that the first type of silicone did not work.
That is the same reason why some fail at seam sealing their shelter (silicone peeling/rubbing off) . Because they start with the wrong silicone...
The second type the guy used (GE II 100% silicone) is the correct type.
Any translucent 100% silicone will do, BUT NOT the other stuff.
BTW, you could just rub the mix on with a sponge. Probably more likely to get an even coating.
Franco