Cheap and Easy Gravity Water Filter

Posted by: PerryMK

Cheap and Easy Gravity Water Filter - 07/24/11 09:22 AM

I saw this on Instructables and thought others might want to see this too.

Cheap-and-Easy-Gravity-Water-Filter

Posted by: rellot

Re: Cheap and Easy Gravity Water Filter - 07/24/11 12:11 PM

thanks
Posted by: PDA

Re: Cheap and Easy Gravity Water Filter - 07/24/11 08:01 PM

Use a biodiesel filter cut to size to get 1 micron filtration, also place a paper coffee filter in the biodiesel filter to trap frog spawn etc. without clogging the 1 micron filter.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Cheap and Easy Gravity Water Filter - 07/25/11 10:32 AM

WHere does one buy a biodesil filter? What brand name?
Posted by: GDeadphans

Re: Cheap and Easy Gravity Water Filter - 07/26/11 02:09 PM

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.cfsco.net/fibagsvowvob3.html
Posted by: walks-with-dogs

Re: Cheap and Easy Gravity Water Filter - 08/23/11 04:04 PM

I've seen a 7 dollar brita filter used with an old powdered coffee creamer container and an O-ring as a cheap solution. you can probably find one on youtube
Posted by: lori

Re: Cheap and Easy Gravity Water Filter - 08/23/11 07:05 PM

Yeah, good luck with that. Not what a Brita filter is for. All it does is take chlorine taste out of tap water. From the user guide of a Brita filter:

"The Brita Bottle is not intended to purify water. DO NOT USE WITH WATER THAT IS MICROBIOLOGICALLY UNSAFE OR OF UNKNOWN QUALITY WITHOUT ADEQUATE DISINFECTION BEFORE OR AFTER THE SYSTEM."

Or in other words, just drink the water, don't bother carrying the useless extra weight of the Brita.
Posted by: james__12345

Re: Cheap and Easy Gravity Water Filter - 08/23/11 10:14 PM

I looked up the pore size of the brita filters a while back (it took quite a while to find), and I dont remember exactly what it was, but it was BIG. It was no where near the maximums suggested for a backpacking filter either. I would not suggest trusting one of them for a hiking filter.
Posted by: walks-with-dogs

Re: Cheap and Easy Gravity Water Filter - 08/24/11 07:35 PM

no but you can sterilize it with chlorine and then use the brita filter to take that taste out
Posted by: lori

Re: Cheap and Easy Gravity Water Filter - 08/24/11 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By walks-with-dogs
no but you can sterilize it with chlorine and then use the brita filter to take that taste out

?????? If I'm going to carry that much weight I'm going to take an actual filter that works, and skip the chlorine.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Cheap and Easy Gravity Water Filter - 08/25/11 04:53 PM

Gatorade powder, or Emergen-C, or some other drink powder will take the taste of the chlorine out as well. I usually have those anyways. Of course, I have never noticed a bad taste with Chlorine Dioxide tabs. Probably because my local water municipal uses the same stuff.