first tarp - complete

Posted by: knosaj

first tarp - complete - 06/06/11 02:18 PM

dang, third times a charm. tried posting twice before and lost the post somehow. ill keep it short.

anyway, after much procrastination my first tarp is complete.
craft is not all there, but overall i am very please with the final result.
-made from low weight sil-nyl. not sure, store didnt list. wanted to make my first from cheap material. packs smaller than a nalgene.
-changes: lower "arch in ridge to bring "peaks" down. dont want weather issues.
-although its tight, ill prob add guy outs to the sides.
-the front is 4.5' tall. wanted it large.

id like your thoughts.

thanks.

Posted by: finallyME

Re: first tarp - complete - 06/06/11 03:00 PM

My thoughts are....

much better than mine. Great job. Now I will be embarrassed to post my pictures in a few days.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: first tarp - complete - 06/06/11 04:18 PM

Nice job! You're in Texas, so you'll probably use that a lot.
Posted by: Kent W

Re: first tarp - complete - 06/06/11 09:09 PM

Looks good. Nice job. You will be pleased!
Posted by: GDeadphans

Re: first tarp - complete - 06/13/11 09:14 PM

Looks great, good job!

Curious, what was total cost for materials?
Posted by: rodwha

Re: first tarp - complete - 06/25/11 10:13 PM

Looks good.
I'm guessing the floor space is roughly 4x6'. What is the weight savings vs an ultralight 2/3 man tent (~4 lbs)?
My girlfriend and I were talking about a month long backpacking excersion and we still need shelter. I'm not too keen on being open like that. I want to keep unwanted critters out, as well as keeping our little girl in when she goes.

Re: first tarp - complete - 07/06/11 12:30 AM

thanks all. recent move so ive not been able to log in.

the mats werent too bad. like 40 bucks i think from the local fabric store. since this was only a test run, i didnt use the really good, light stuff. next time ill order from OWF or someplace.

since i free hand cut the curves, like a fool, i cut the beaks in too close to the bottom so not including hte beak over hangs, the floor space, pitched as shown in the images is about 5'x7'. again, it was a test run so i will be a bit more cautious with the cuts next time.

weight, not a clue. it doesnt weigh much thats for sure. and it rolls up to about the size of a nalgene bottle. but, all said its pretty dang good for such a large shelter.

Re: first tarp - complete - 07/06/11 12:41 AM

one thing that really helped me was to cut both sides at once on a large! table with an exacto knife. it allowed me to get fairly smooth arches. the ridge at the tall side arched up a little quick, but oh well. next time the ridge will not be arched as much so will be overall lower at the front and back