Where to get steel mesh?

Posted by: thecook

Where to get steel mesh? - 04/26/11 05:23 PM

Where can I find steel mesh for making pot stands? The only stuff I have found is galvanized which is really noxious when heated.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Where to get steel mesh? - 04/26/11 07:18 PM

McMaster-Carr has every kind of metal you could ever want:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-mesh/=c1sedz

others may have cheaper ideas.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Where to get steel mesh? - 04/26/11 07:45 PM

Galvanized is bad only when heated well above the zinc melting point. It's not likely your stove will get near that hot with a pot soaking up the heat. "Hardware Cloth" can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes. Its a stout wire mesh with 3/8ths inch squares. You'll find it by the chicken and hog fence wire.
You can find stainless mesh in some hobby stores where the hobby brass tubing, etc. is.
You can also make simple pot stands from coat hanger wire, as long as you aren't trying to hold up a really large pot. Three small tent stakes make good pot stands too.
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Where to get steel mesh? - 04/27/11 10:31 AM

Most good hardware or home center stores carry it. You need to ask for Hardware Cloth, you may have better luck locating it.

Re: Where to get steel mesh? - 04/27/11 12:08 PM

All the hardware cloth around here seems to be galvanized, and based on the appearance of the hardware cloth after a burn, the galvanization IS burning off. OK for an occasional test with really good ventilation but not something I want to deal with on a regular basis.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Where to get steel mesh? - 04/28/11 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By BZH
McMaster-Carr has every kind of metal you could ever want:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-mesh/=c1sedz

others may have cheaper ideas.

Yep, if you don't want galvanized, then Mcmaster is probably your best bet. They have really fast delivery, BTW.
Posted by: Billc3

Re: Where to get steel mesh? - 04/28/11 04:11 PM

Expanded steel mesh can be found at steel supply places or try Small Parts.

http://www.smallparts.com/s?keywords=&am...amp;x=0&y=0

Bill
Posted by: phat

Re: Where to get steel mesh? - 04/28/11 10:27 PM

A regular stove does't heat my gavanized stuff hot enough to be a
problem. having said that, if you can get the galvanized stuff easy, two minutes outside with a propane torch in a well ventilated area and you can get it all off to the point it won't matter.

I've made stands out of the galvanized stuff with no problem.

However as mentioned - coat hangers work well, - the other thing
that works very well is chainlink fence wires - the ones you use to tie the fence mesh to the top poles and bottom rails. they're aluminum and you can get 'em at fencing stores (or in the fencing section of the home despot...

Re: Where to get steel mesh? - 04/28/11 10:36 PM

Huh. I walk by those danged things every time I go out my back door and never thought of using them. Great idea, Phat.
Posted by: topshot

Re: Where to get steel mesh? - 04/29/11 09:43 AM

Hardware cloth I got at Menards to make gerbil cage lid wasn't galvanized. They're based in WI so maybe they have stores in MN.

Re: Where to get steel mesh? - 05/03/11 02:29 PM

Yes they do. Thanks!