Myog esbit system

Posted by: sautmush

Myog esbit system - 03/31/11 02:24 PM

I'm looking for ideas to make an esbit system to use on a section hike of the A.T. in July. Any ideas or pics appreciated.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Myog esbit system - 03/31/11 05:02 PM

People use things as simple as a few stakes or rocks as a pot support and something to shield the cooking support surface from heat or look at the Thru-Hiker.com projects. There used to be directions for making a titanium esbit stove.

I started off years ago with a ring made of hardware cloth as a pot stand on a cat food can bottom. Add a windscreen of some sort and put a small piece of cardboard covered in foil to protect the table or ground from heat.

CM
Posted by: Paulo

Re: Myog esbit system - 03/31/11 10:01 PM

I have one here It is a review of military surplus one. It cost $3 in bolivia. I didn't find it super efficient.

A better idea would be something like an old can with holes for venting.

I know people aren't huge fans of the swiss ranger setup, but I'm planning on trying it out this summer with esbit as the old solid fuel tablets i got here were fairly efficient with it.
Posted by: JPete

Re: Myog esbit system - 04/01/11 10:51 AM

sautmush, My cooking system uses an old, salvaged aluminum Boy Scout cook kit pot, about 12.5 cm (5 inches or so) in diameter and about 6.25 cm (about 2.5 inches) deep. It holds 600 ml (20 oz or so). I also carry a 300 ml (10 oz) titanium cup. I have actual lids for each. Inside I have a Backpackinglight titanium folding wing stove that weighs about 15 grams or so (about half an ounce), and a titanium folding spork. There is a windscreen made from an aluminum disposable cookie sheet to fit just inside the pot , plus a square of the green scrubbing pad (3M ?) that is occasionally used to scrub soot from the bottom of the pan, but more often to insulate the bottom of the pot while dinner steeps (my knit cap is my cosy). And there is a very light nylon bag to keep the pot from dirtying other things. The whole “kit and kaboodle” weighs around 250 grams ( a bit under eight ounces) Don’t remember what I paid for the wing stove, but it was little enough that I bought four of them. Hope this helps. I've done the whole AT with Esbit. Best, jcp
Posted by: JAK

Re: Myog esbit system - 11/24/11 07:22 PM

Any ideas for home-made solid fuel tablets?

Sawdust, alcohol, cotton balls, and beeswax?