Finished Making My Sill Cat Tarp

Posted by: Kent W

Finished Making My Sill Cat Tarp - 03/07/11 06:56 PM

Well, it took me a day and a half but my Cat Tarpis done. It is 1.1 ounce sil Nylon and Measures 8 foot six inches bye ten foot six. I Cantenary cut the edges,but not center ridge seam. It pitches well flat lean to style or a frame style.
Here are the pictures.
http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k573/zimraphail/
Posted by: phat

Re: Finished Making My Sill Cat Tarp - 03/07/11 09:09 PM

Nicely done Kent.. should give you a nice big space to shelter under or hammock under.

How much did it end up weighing?

Re: Finished Making My Sill Cat Tarp - 03/07/11 09:32 PM

Just a hair under a pound. I reinfoced corners and guyline areas with scraps of cordura. picked up a ounce or two there. I figure it will last longer? I can use Hammock under it yes,but primarily for smokies trip with my son to cook under. Hopefully will give us some extra protection if it gets nasty. I dont want to cook under hammock tarp,as areas we are staying are under a heavy bear allert. I dont plan to be a snack!
Posted by: Steadman

Re: Finished Making My Sill Cat Tarp - 03/07/11 10:14 PM

Very cool. You gave me a good idea...
Posted by: Paulo

Re: Finished Making My Sill Cat Tarp - 03/08/11 08:49 AM

Don't forget to tell us how it works! I'm still looking for a good design for a tarp or tent of silnylon.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Finished Making My Sill Cat Tarp - 03/08/11 10:33 AM

Excellent sewing job. I have made two tarps so far, and that one was much better than any I have done. Plus, I usually take way more than one day to sew it up. goodjob

The campmor 8X10 tarp is rated at 13 oz, so being close to that weight is excellent.

Re: Finished Making My Sill Cat Tarp - 03/08/11 08:14 PM

Thanks, after 1 tent and a pack my skills are sufficent for camp gear. Paulo I will post when I return from my smokies trip in april. I will put it through the paces then.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Finished Making My Sill Cat Tarp - 03/09/11 10:51 AM

That is sweet Kent!

Inspires me to dust off my Singer and get to work laugh
Posted by: rionada

Re: Finished Making My Sill Cat Tarp - 03/11/11 02:09 AM

Nicely done Kent - that looks like a teriffic piece of gear.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Finished Making My Sill Cat Tarp - 03/18/11 11:05 PM

Nice job. I've made two cat-cut tarps and love them.

If you haven't already done so (can't tell from the pictures), you may want to add some pockets at the tie outs to stuff the guy-lines into. I used some mosquito netting and it works great. On the open edge there is omnitape to be able to seal the pocket.
I do a quick 'hank' of the cord and fold it into the pocket. It keeps it neat and clean.