Fiberglass wick/rope, where?

Posted by: GDeadphans

Fiberglass wick/rope, where? - 07/30/10 03:34 PM

Can any one point me in the right direction to find Fiberglass wick rope. Almost done with a pressurized alchy stove, but want to put the fiberglass rope around the side as a primer. I searched everywhere today to find it, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, but to no avail! They all looked at me cross eyed heh. Any finger pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Fiberglass wick/rope, where? - 07/30/10 04:15 PM

I've found it at appliance salvage places as oven gasket. Sometimes it free but you'll need a 20 year old stove. They use silicone gaskets on modern ovens.
I've also made my own from tightly rolling glass roving to the right diameter and tying off the ends with wire. My Optimus Nova has a "priming pad" made from several circles of glass cloth (like stacked washers). The center post of the stove passes through the hole in the middle.
Posted by: Rdljr

Re: Fiberglass wick/rope, where? - 07/30/10 08:50 PM

Industrial plumbing supply stores, it is sold as steam pipe insulation and for some heat shrink/seal machine jaw pads. Not stuff that most harry the home owner would want. If you have an old junk motor you may find it wrapping the windings.

Re: Fiberglass wick/rope, where? - 07/31/10 12:22 PM

Thanks!

I just looked it up on google, and wow, this stuff is incredibly expensive! I did find tiki torch wicks. But they are very wide. I was thinking about taking them apart and maybe re-wove them to the width I desire. But I could see it just fraying and becoming sloppy looking fairly quickly...idk?
Posted by: Ulhiker

Re: Fiberglass wick/rope, where? - 07/31/10 03:08 PM

You might try using fiberglass cloth and folding it down to the size that you need. I found some in the automotive department at WalMart and used it to wrap my Heineken can with for insulation.
Should work as a wick, I would think.
OZ
Posted by: d engelkenjohn

Re: Fiberglass wick/rope, where? - 08/01/10 12:27 AM

try Ace Hardware in the wood stove door gasket dept. It comes in several sizes.

Re: Fiberglass wick/rope, where? - 08/01/10 01:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I will be on the hunt.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Fiberglass wick/rope, where? - 08/02/10 02:33 PM

McMaster-Carr

Re: Fiberglass wick/rope, where? - 08/03/10 09:02 PM

Oh wow, thanks finallyME