I finished makeing my G4 backpack

Posted by: Kent W

I finished makeing my G4 backpack - 06/27/10 02:13 PM

I finished Making my G4 pack today from a kit from Quest. Came out well. I cut out foam pads for shoulder straps and waist straps. I also made a sit pad for a backsupport instead of sleep pad. I use a thermarest pro light air mattress. I bent a easton aluminum arrowshaft around a large coffee can. I heated the shaft with a tourch first. this anneals and takes the temper out of the alloy so it bends easier without kinking. I layed the shaft on two pieces of cheap foam sleep pad. traced the shape and cut a v shaped groove in bothpieces. I then aplied 3m spray contact adhesive to both pieces of foam and aluminum shaft. I glued matching foam pads together with arrow shaft horshoe sandwiched in between. This brought pack weight up to 18.5 ounces. The support is worth it. Fully loaded with my tent bag all cookware and etc base weight is 12 pounds 4 ounces. minus water food and clothes. she pics here if interested. http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u109/valar5/G4%20Backpack/
Happy TRails to all
Posted by: DJ2

Re: I finished makeing my G4 backpack - 06/27/10 04:38 PM

Nice job. Thanks for the info and pics.

I never thought about heating tubing before bending. Useful tip.

Looks like most of the weight transferred to the waist belt would ride on your sacrum....which I consider a good thing. It that where you feel it when you are wearing the pack?

What's the circumference and height of the bag?

Re: I finished makeing my G4 backpack - 06/28/10 06:19 PM

So Far it feels very comfy next weekend i will day hike with a load and see how it does. It is a exact copy of Gossamer Gear G4 specs and free instructions are on there web site. Thanks.
Posted by: Ecrow

Re: I finished makeing my G4 backpack - 06/29/10 12:40 AM

Thank you so much for posting this, I am right now needing another pack. What are the panel dimensions? like 8x12x36? Really nice pictures!!!!

Re: I finished makeing my G4 backpack - 06/29/10 05:35 PM

Go to www.Gossamergear.com Klik on make your own in left hand colume. Then select g4 pack. plans are free with panel dimensions.