enlarging a pocket

Posted by: Jake28

enlarging a pocket - 03/04/10 08:13 AM

hello,
I have a gregory pack, both the side pockets on my pack are mad of elastic and are therefore too tight to fit a nalgene. this wasnt a problem until i got trekking poles and can no longer carry the nalgene in my hand. i want to make one of the pockets on the side bigger so i can fit my nalgene in it. i know some will say use a camelbak but i dont like em for a number of reasons. can anyone give me some advice on altering the pocket? i can post pictures of my pack if that would help.
jake
Posted by: skippy

Re: enlarging a pocket - 03/04/10 02:20 PM

I think I would just use a smaller diameter water bottle unless there is a particular reason you need a nalgene. Those bottles are quite heavy. You might look at reusing a pop bottle or aquafina bottle. Sometimes I use a lightweight bike bottle as I can use it one handed (no unscrewing a lid) and they are very tough. I use that for my easy access water and if I will be going longer distances without water I can fill my platy that I use for in camp.

You might go ahead and post a pic or link to your pack as there are some very innovative people on here that can help with ideas. Good luck.

-Skippy
Posted by: Jake28

Re: enlarging a pocket - 03/04/10 03:52 PM

i feel like i need my nalgene. my pump hooks directly to it, which it wouldnt on a smaller bottle. i can have coffee out of it no matter how hot it is, i can have a liter of tang with my dinner (rather than using a small cup which i would have to keep filling). its very durable etc. ive tried to get over the idea of "needing" the nalgene but i just dont see it happening. here is a link to my pack:

http://www.ramseyoutdoor.com/productimages/9505f93c-cfb4-43a9-9051-e149fa3cfeaf.jpg

the pocker is the black sloping material you can see along the side. it may be hard to tell but it is very tight elastic so i cant find a nalgene
jake
Posted by: skippy

Re: enlarging a pocket - 03/05/10 05:33 PM

I know what you're saying when you talk about feeling like you "need" a certain piece of gear. My basement is full of gear I used to need. Small coffee pot, lantern, gerber axe, saw, maglites, radios, impressive looking knives, and an assortment of nalgene bottles. My filter also had an attachment for a nalgene bottle but I got rid of it and just put the hose in the bottle (if i carry the filter).

We all have our luxury items that we carry and I'm sure that some of the guys on this forum would go through my pack and start chucking stuff.

-Skippy