Questions on how to recreate a BD Firstlight

Posted by: Vagabond

Questions on how to recreate a BD Firstlight - 01/06/10 03:02 AM

Here's a link to the actual tent: http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/BD162

I don't feel like spending several hundred dollars on a tent when I think it can be made under $100. The main materials used are: epic, silnylon, and noseeum mesh. I did read many reviews and understand that the epic material is loved and hated. From my understanding, under normal conditions it's fantastic but under a lot of constant rain it can let condensation in and other negative effects.

Question 1: What if the entire tent (except the noseeum vents) was made out of silnylon material? It'd still be pretty light but I don't know what that would do to the integrity of the tent.
Question 2: What are some good poles that I could use for the interior?
Question 3: What other parts/items would I essentially need?

Just some FYI: I am planning on hiking the entire Appalachian Trail after my Spring semester. That should let you know the type of tent/materials I'd need for my trip. Thanks in advance smile!
Posted by: lori

Re: Questions on how to recreate a BD Firstlight - 01/06/10 11:38 AM

You think it can be made for under 100? You could easily pay that much for materials, and then some.

You can get that same tent for 256 elsewhere. I'm curious why you wanted that particular tent - no vestibule, and it seems to be a climber's tent.
Posted by: Vagabond

Re: Questions on how to recreate a BD Firstlight - 01/06/10 01:34 PM

Good question my friend.

The dimensions are 82x48 in=a total of around 7+4=11 ft. I could get 6 yards of material in the ballpark area of $60-70. Six yds equals 18ft which would give me additional 7 ft to do as I please aka make a vestibule, to put my gear if I have another person with me and to clean off, instead of paying $100+ just for that blasted thing. It wouldn't be that much heavier and I wouldn't need it all the time.

No-see-um mesh I can purchase for $9 of 3 yds.

I am simply attracted to it's minimalist design, it's extremely lightweight, and waterproof. I figure that will cover my bases pretty good. It uses only 2 poles and, depending on what website you're looking at, is rated for 4 seasons.
Posted by: Paul

Re: Questions on how to recreate a BD Firstlight - 01/09/10 01:23 AM

1) If you made the whole thing out of silnylon, which is non-breatheable, you'd have LOTS of condensation - so not a good idea.
2) you can buy the Firstlight poles form BD. You can also get poles from Quest outfitters, or go carbon from Fibraplex.
3)You'd need zippers, webbing, velcro for the interior pole attachments, some heavier fabric to reinforce the corners of the floor where the poles sit.

When you get all the bits and pieces added in, you'll find the cost a little higher than you're thinking - especially since you'll need some waterproof/breatheable fabric for the roof portion in place of the silnylon. If you like that tent, I'll bet you can find a used one that won't cost much if any more than the cost of all the materials. To me, though, it doesn't seem like a good AT tent.
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Questions on how to recreate a BD Firstlight - 01/09/10 08:53 PM

Hmm well I am building a jones tent two. I havent finished it due to other projects. Silnylon in under ten yard quanitys is not cheap! My advice is if you are like me and like to create your own gear and such because you can? Go for it. However the savings,,, if you count your time is worth anyting? Well you cannnot compete with a tent. I even fabricated my own lightweight pole from lightweight fiberglass arrow shafts. I machined ferrules from aluminum on my lathe. However, dont count your time as anything or I could sleep in a new Henry Shires Tent! Happy Trails!