New Year = New Gear resolutions

Posted by: skippy

New Year = New Gear resolutions - 01/01/10 07:13 AM

So I am curious to know what gear you plan to make this year as a part of your resolutions for 2010?

I personally resolve to build several more alcohol stoves as this is fun, pretty cheap and hopefully harmless. smile

I am also interested in putting together a water filter system that is light and cheap yet safe.

I am also kicking around doing some other crazier things that are most likely way beyond my nonexistent sewing skills.

So what do you think you would like to do?

Posted by: balzaccom

Re: New Year = New Gear resolutions - 01/01/10 10:10 AM

Hmmm. Good idea for a thread. Last year I made a really successful tent,

http://www.backpackthesierra.com/home/equipment/tents

I am thinking of making my own daypack--something very light that would incorporate all the things I want, including a place for my fly rod.

And if that works...

Now I have some more thinking to do today!
Posted by: Shrike

Re: New Year = New Gear resolutions - 01/01/10 04:24 PM

I am currently working on a quilt. Received the materials from Quest Outfitters a week ago. My sewing skills are not there by any means so it may take a while but im getting there.
Posted by: RobertL

Re: New Year = New Gear resolutions - 01/02/10 12:35 AM

My favorite hiking shorts are going, going, almost gone, so I'm going to use them as a pattern for a new pair ... considering fabrics now and leaning towards a medium/heavy weight nylon spandex in black. Spandex world has several interesting looking ones at reasonable prices:

http://spandexworld.com/

If I like the results, I'll go on to use the same pattern to make a pair of pants for cooler weather.

Am going to add a couple of additional tie-outs to the top of my MYOG tarptent for better hold-down protection in the wind.

Also waist and shoulder strap storage for my semi-MYOG backpack. (Semi-MYOG = Granite Gear frame and suspension system with a MYOG packbag.